IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update on Large Washingtonia Filiferas after Texas Freeze.

Collectorpalms

Very Bummed!

Looks like even 1 of 2 the most pure and healthy Washingtonia Filifera died. Low was in the single digits. 
The same thing happened to 7 of my palms. They came back somewhat then just declined over the summer.

The one on the left lived. The other tried to come back but declined. I think even the meristem never regrew a new frond. And only the leaves inside the trunk came out, then desiccated.

First pictures from today, the others a few weeks after Feb 2021.

CC82F101-3D50-47DE-9686-11B41D0DC06E.jpeg

2420E770-5D69-4C0D-8A9A-410EFA9E9C3B.jpeg

B255AA28-00E4-4E1D-AE65-0CB853CEB71E.jpeg

C880A4B4-DC32-449A-A868-4A70E912A7E4.jpeg

B87D285C-51BA-4BC0-AC4D-43271C1C6602.jpeg

50ED96A8-0CFC-4258-8FBC-5D3CA60CFD7F.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Oh about a couple blocks away were some seedling in the sidewalk alive and grew. One had about a foot of trunk developing. I didn’t take pictures. I had robusta seedlings survive too under the snow. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Think they did a bit better in Austin, with the drier conditions going into the freeze. Theres even some big ones in a parking lot in Dallas that came back 

I've even been some 35' + robusta hybrids coming back. 

8 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Think they did a bit better in Austin, with the drier conditions going into the freeze. Theres even some big ones in a parking lot in Dallas that came back 

I've even been some 35' + robusta hybrids coming back. 

These are near my brothers house near Austin in downtown Hutto. There was a nursery just on the eastern edge of Taylor that may have been the sourse of the Palms. They were planted before 2008 per google maps. There was a third that was removed after 2010 or 2011 when all the Robustas died north of Austin city limits. That was the time that El Paso went to 0. 

I have heard a few mentions of palms even into the Rio Grand that pushed a few leaves and then died, so it wasnt an isolated event. I saw on google maps in El Paso a washingtonia that came back that died soon after. However, they had a lot of Washingtonia come back in El Paso, compared to central Texas.

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 11/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, Collectorpalms said:

These are near my brothers house near Austin in downtown Hutto. There was a nursery just on the eastern edge of Taylor that may have been the sourse of the Palms. They were planted before 2008 per google maps. There was a third that was removed after 2010 or 2011 when all the Robustas died north of Austin city limits. That was the time that El Paso went to 0. 

I have heard a few mentions of palms even into the Rio Grand that pushed a few leaves and then died, so it wasnt an isolated event. I saw on google maps in El Paso a washingtonia that came back that died soon after. However, they had a lot of Washingtonia come back in El Paso, compared to central Texas.

I've seen a pair near me that tried to come back and then died but that is it. All the Filifera here never came back or look really good 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Here's a few I've been watching all summer. This hybrid on right in first pic started showing signs of growth in June, and has pushed out a lot of deformed fronds, but it looks like it is now starting to push out healthy, green fronds. You can see the trunk narrowing halfway up so probably a 2011 survivor. One on left is a little more iffy as is one in second pic 

thumbnail_image1-1.jpg

thumbnail_image2-1.jpg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms

Sorry about your palms.  What is interesting in the Sugar Land area of Houston is that most "medjool" dates looked like they were going to make it with good signs if life in April/May but declined and died in summer heat, maybe similar to what you showed. They seemed to decline after strong rains followed by summer heat. Not sure what happened there. They were a big loss for the area.  

On the other hand many "filibusta" hybrids looked terrible for months, well into the summer that we thought were all but dead, but majority came back, they really started thriving as the "medjool" dates were declining. Even some thinner trunked mostly robust ones came back. 

It seems the "filibusta" are more suited for Houston climate than the "medjool" date.  AFAIK true Canary Island dates and anything sabal or Tracyhy did fine.  All known queens are a goner.

Yeah have noticed the same up here in N. TX-  I took some pics but death looks similar to the ones I knew and loved around up here. Sabals did much better and even big ones still growing (see my thread about unusual late flowering S. bermudana). What amazed me is how many Cycas "palms" survived with what I was sure would be gonners. They actually seemed to come back better than many windmill palms! On that note, I am still sick my 25ft tall one subcommed in the front entry, poor old girl froze her head off. At least her equally robust sis in back has made almost a complete recovery. Also seen some fat Butias and even Phoenix that survived, which blows my mind!

2021Washy.jpg

ChaemyYuck2.jpg

Thrachy21Freeze.jpg

13 hours ago, SLTX21 said:

Sorry about your palms.  What is interesting in the Sugar Land area of Houston is that most "medjool" dates looked like they were going to make it with good signs if life in April/May but declined and died in summer heat, maybe similar to what you showed. They seemed to decline after strong rains followed by summer heat. Not sure what happened there. They were a big loss for the area.  

On the other hand many "filibusta" hybrids looked terrible for months, well into the summer that we thought were all but dead, but majority came back, they really started thriving as the "medjool" dates were declining. Even some thinner trunked mostly robust ones came back. 

It seems the "filibusta" are more suited for Houston climate than the "medjool" date.  AFAIK true Canary Island dates and anything sabal or Tracyhy did fine.  All known queens are a goner.

I wasnt aware that the date palms declined in Sugar Land. Here, where it was much colder I saw some that had just been planted before the freeze come back from 4F. Now I wonder if they have died since I saw them.  We also had some planted on top of a high rise like the ones in Austin, I am not sure if they had come back. At least they were on the south side of the building out of the north wind by even more floors to the building.

My very tall ( 35Ft) Phoenix Sylvestris and a neighbors 15Ft Sylvestris, started to come back. Mine quickly died, and I havent checked on theirs.

Edited by Collectorpalms

I know of several Phoenix sylvestris that came back strongly in Houston and have full crowns. Think some were cut down too early.

Lots of dead Phoenix dactylifera. Wonder what the overall survival rate is.

All of the dactyfilera in Katy and Memorial died after initially recovering. I did see some surviving dactyfilera at 610/59 (uber warm spot) recently. 

I wonder if the date palms near Hobby and south towards NASA are alive? They looked ok a few months ago. 

Some more chinensis and robusta died off within the last 3 months or so as well (maybe 50% of the initial survivors out west and 20-30% closer to town for robusta only, in town chinensis are mostly recovered). All of the queens I've been checking on near town are dead as of a few days ago, including the one behind Buchanan's. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)