IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Green Bismarck seeds/seedlings wanted

AZ_Palm_Guy

Just as the title states, just looking for some green bismarck seeds or seedlings. If anyone has or knows where to get some please let me know. Willing to pay for shipping and palm of course. 

These are readily available here in Madagascar but I wonder what the import rules are where you live. 

• Like 1

Fort Dauphin (Tôlagnaro) 614 Madagascar 

(-25.0348100, 46.9904505)

www.dadamanga.mg www.filana.org

This may help.

All seeds imported into the United States must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate, unless specifically exempted by a permit that allows importation without one, such as the Small Lots of Seed permit (See Seeds with Additional Requirements).Feb 17, 2021

go to the USDA/aphis website for specifics and to sign up. I believe it is free service.

• Like 2

I've never had any trouble receiving seeds from overseas without any paperwork,but I haven't ordered anything in several years. If it's a small amount of money, and you are willing to lose it if seeds get confiscated,go for it. You never know until you try.Sender could also creatively fill out customs form calling the cleaned seeds beads,toys,or decorations...:rolleyes: Or you could try the small lot seed permit above.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-products-permits/plants-for-planting/small-lots-seed

@jimmyt thanks for that info. 

@Dadamanga the link posted is what is required for importing seeds to the US.

@aztropic that is true, it could be renamed. Doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by AZ_Palm_Guy

It will all depend if the seeds get picked out of the mail by US customs.  Small packs are less likely than large ones.  The increase scrutiny started after 911.  RPS is requesting US customers to apply for small packet permits from the USDA due to increased seizures of seeds coming into the US.  Like aztropic said it may be a risk you are willing to take if it is not too expensive.

I’ll investigate post and phytosanitary certificate costs and get back to you here with a detailed estimate. 

On that “seeds for planting” list, Bismarckia should be on page 646 if the way I glanced at it on my phone was correct, but it’s not there. Does that mean it doesn’t qualify for the program? 

Ok I reread it. It’s not there on the list so it qualifies for the program…

To determine the entry status of seed taxa, see (2) above and refer to the Plant Protection and Quarantine Manual's reference section.  Click on The Plants for Planting Manual, and then find the List of Plants for Planting on the Chapter 6 of the manual. Plants that are not listed in this section are generally admissible and eligible for the small lots of seed program.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1