IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need Some Advice (Licuala Peltata 'sumawongii')

MattyB

Hey Y'all.  I had a very large Dypsis heteromorpha die from a fungal infection, leaving this Licuala exposed to full midday to afternoon sun.  I thought for sure it was gonna fry after growing up in the filtered light of the Dypsis above, but it made it through the second half of summer completely perfect.  My question is:  Do you think I should plant another taller clumping Dypsis (D. lafazamanga) next to it to give it some filtered light again, or do you think that this Licuala can take this much sun?  I'm in SoCal about 9 miles from the coast.  Something to consider is that the stumps of the dead Dypsis is buried under that mulch, so I'm not sure if that would be smart to replant in that spot so soon without the old stumps rotting away first.  Any ideas would be welcomed.  Thanks. 

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

20 minutes ago, MattyB said:

My question is:  Do you think I should plant another taller clumping Dypsis (D. lafazamanga) next to it to give it some filtered light again, or do you think that this Licuala can take this much sun? 

Sorry about the loss of your D heteromorpha Matty!  Relative to the question about the Licuala, which is masterfully grown and beautiful, given the time of year, I would say patience is the best call.  Since we are headed into the mildest time of year for adapting to full sun, I would be inclined to watch it and see how it does.  If you have the a Dypsis lafazamanga in the bull pen waiting to go into the ground, you could always place the pot in the potential planting spot if you need to add shade.  This gives you the option of waiting out the D heteromorpha trunks to fully decay too.  The Licuala looks great without having anything else adjacent so if you can get by with it, my personal preference would be to let it stand alone.

It feels funny for an apprentice to be providing the teacher advice, but I'm sure I'm just reinforcing what you already know and have considered.  By the way, was this the extra thick D heteromorpha or one of the other ones you have that was lost to the fungal infection?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Tracy. I do like the look of the Licuala on its own in that spot.  We had a mild summer and did not exceed 98f this year so I’m worried about the normal summer temps we get over 100f sometimes.  But dang it looks good right now. Yes this was the really beefy heteromorpha; the one that almost looked like a triangle hybrid 

Edited by MattyB

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I agree with what Tracy said and also note that the Lafazamanga (at least for me) is very robust and may overcrowd your gorgeous Licuala. It looks fantastic!

Good to know. I’d like to show off that Dypsis so I’ll look for a more open spot. Thanks 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Glad to see this post @MattyB.....Keeping an eye on any change to the Licuala, you can easily erect shade cloth above it.

• Like 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Hi Tim. The Kerriodoxa is doing great. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I would put a dypsis baby red stem. It is not a heavy clumpier but would give you something without making it look messy 

Beautifully grown Matty. I think I made the mistake years ago of putting mine into too much shade and it looks nothing like yours. The lack of even any brown tipped leaves is amazing.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Ok full midday sun it is. I’ll just leave it alone. Thanks everyone for the input. 

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"