ZPalms

Phoenix roebelenii strap leaves closed

ZPalms

One minute they were all open and doing fine and then I checked on them and they closed up, I watered the pot and only one opened back up and the others look like a strand of grass and I'm confused what happened? Is it cause I missed a watering or something? Are they gonna be ok?

IMG-8687.jpg

lzorrito

Water it from below, not from the top.

• Like 1

ZPalms
8 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Water it from below, not from the top.

How can I get the water through the bottom up through the sand? it's a really deep pot, I feel like I screwed myself over?

Umbrae

keep on doing what your doing and have some patience

• Like 1

Rickybobby

Possible too much water 

• Like 1

ZPalms
15 hours ago, Umbrae said:

keep on doing what your doing and have some patience

13 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Possible too much water 

I have 53 seeds in there to germinate so I water often but lately I've been watering it less and I didnt water it for 5 days and they closed up, I thought maybe it was the lack of water but only one opened up when I watered it, So I'm a bit confused but I'll just continue to water them???

JLM
4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I have 53 seeds in there to germinate so I water often but lately I've been watering it less and I didnt water it for 5 days and they closed up, I thought maybe it was the lack of water but only one opened up when I watered it, So I'm a bit confused but I'll just continue to water them???

If thats the case, yes, water more. Ive noticed that even on larger roebeleniis the leaflets close up when they lack water. 

• Like 1

Rickybobby

I have found that when a seedling suffocates from too much water or soggy soil they close up

• Like 1

ZPalms
12 hours ago, JLM said:

If thats the case, yes, water more. Ive noticed that even on larger roebeleniis the leaflets close up when they lack water. 

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

I have found that when a seedling suffocates from too much water or soggy soil they close up

I'm so confused if I'm suppose to water more or less?? I didn't think sand held water, I thought it kept moist but not muddy???

JLM
34 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm so confused if I'm suppose to water more or less?? I didn't think sand held water, I thought it kept moist but not muddy???

I would follow @Rickybobby's advice, he certainly has more experience with these than i do, especially with seedlings. I cant really answer your sand question, although sand is something included in some peoples soil mixtures.

ZPalms
13 hours ago, JLM said:

I would follow @Rickybobby's advice, he certainly has more experience with these than i do, especially with seedlings. I cant really answer your sand question, although sand is something included in some peoples soil mixtures.

16 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Alrighty, I'll water less but I'm not sure how often I'm suppose to water only sand and keep it good enough for the other seeds too :blink:

Rickybobby

Well your finger will tell you. So if you check out my latest video it was on this subject. What I do is check the soil but I dig down deep. In pots usually the bottom is always moist or wet. Usually in between. The root rot usually starts there. So what I do is use a watering can which is gentle and I water the top so that it becomes moist and just adds to the bottom. With say coco and perlite for soil there’s no issues with salts. Unless you fertilize all the time. This helps keep the roots healthy indoors during the winter. When I started off I would soak the palms like a lot of videos showed. Yeah that works outdoors when’s its 90f out and the sun makes the pot on fire but not indoors. Hope that helps 

Rickybobby

Seedling wise or even potted palm wise for me anyways. When a palm gets no water it just dries out. When you over water like mad abs keep it soaked the leaflets close. Trachycarpus are notorious for that for me anyway. Biggest mistake in potted palms I’ve ever made is too much water. Too often.  I literally water my big guys maybe every 3-4 weeks and my room is heated 

• Like 1

ZPalms
On 11/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Rickybobby said:

Seedling wise or even potted palm wise for me anyways. When a palm gets no water it just dries out. When you over water like mad abs keep it soaked the leaflets close. Trachycarpus are notorious for that for me anyway. Biggest mistake in potted palms I’ve ever made is too much water. Too often.  I literally water my big guys maybe every 3-4 weeks and my room is heated 

How do I water enough to make sure the seeds stay moist enought to germinate without over watering?

teddytn

@ZPalms this is what I do to germinate seeds. Community pot, I did half vermiculite and half composted humus ( as long as the mixture is loose the exact ingredients aren’t as important ). Place the seeds and then cover with a 1/4”-1/2” of the same mix. I water that first day and then don’t water again until I see green leaves. The key is covering it with plastic and making a greenhouse and putting the pots on a heat mat. Those are all Sabal species in the pots.ABA553A4-C930-4D0D-9802-8F36A3FD68DA.thumb.jpeg.8d01554040f785ba26d1aba3acb8bc05.jpegThe first to sprout Sabal palmetto33D5A19C-858C-4059-BF7E-0320759105B2.thumb.jpeg.7ae5d6241cc8cf76326f4dd0ad220b7b.jpeg

• Like 1

ZPalms
1 hour ago, teddytn said:

@ZPalms this is what I do to germinate seeds. Community pot, I did half vermiculite and half composted humus ( as long as the mixture is loose the exact ingredients aren’t as important ). Place the seeds and then cover with a 1/4”-1/2” of the same mix. I water that first day and then don’t water again until I see green leaves. The key is covering it with plastic and making a greenhouse and putting the pots on a heat mat. Those are all Sabal species in the pots.ABA553A4-C930-4D0D-9802-8F36A3FD68DA.thumb.jpeg.8d01554040f785ba26d1aba3acb8bc05.jpegThe first to sprout Sabal palmetto33D5A19C-858C-4059-BF7E-0320759105B2.thumb.jpeg.7ae5d6241cc8cf76326f4dd0ad220b7b.jpeg

Should I dig the other seeds out the pot I have and move them into something else? I've been using strictly sand but the last time I accidentally uprooted one of my roebelenii seedlings it died

teddytn
58 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Should I dig the other seeds out the pot I have and move them into something else? I've been using strictly sand but the last time I accidentally uprooted one of my roebelenii seedlings it died

You can check to see if the seeds have sprouted by just touching them, if there’s any resistance then it’s definitely sprouted the first leaves just haven’t emerged yet. If not then of course you can move them if you want, some seeds are stubborn. If you could cover what you’ve got going with kitchen plastic wrap and put on top of a heat mat or at least the warmest place you have available inside then it should help by itself. Regulating the environment so it’s as close to constant is important for high seed germination rates. Same as a baby being in the womb. Don’t be afraid to experiment. I dig everything you’ve got going! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

ZPalms
33 minutes ago, teddytn said:

You can check to see if the seeds have sprouted by just touching them, if there’s any resistance then it’s definitely sprouted the first leaves just haven’t emerged yet. If not then of course you can move them if you want, some seeds are stubborn. If you could cover what you’ve got going with kitchen plastic wrap and put on top of a heat mat or at least the warmest place you have available inside then it should help by itself. Regulating the environment so it’s as close to constant is important for high seed germination rates. Same as a baby being in the womb. Don’t be afraid to experiment. I dig everything you’ve got going! :shaka-2:

I really wish I didn't use such a tall big pot to germinate them cause if I were to get a heat mat I don't think it would even be enough to get it through the whole pot, and I don't really have anywhere in my house that's a constant warm temperature especially this time of year. All of my roebelenii seedlings have decided to close their leaves so I'll try to poke a stick in the center of the sand and create a greenhouse with plastic wrap cause maybe the air is too dry?

Edited by ZPalms

teddytn
1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

I really wish I didn't use such a tall big pot to germinate them cause if I were to get a heat mat I don't think it would even be enough to get it through the whole pot, and I don't really have anywhere in my house that's a constant warm temperature especially this time of year. All of my roebelenii seedlings have decided to close their leaves so I'll try to poke a stick in the center of the sand and create a greenhouse with plastic wrap cause maybe the air is too dry?

A heat mat will help regardless of the size pot, you’re right less though if really tall. Heat rises the same through the pot though. If you can’t get one, PM me your address and I’ll send you one for Christmas. 

• Like 1

ZPalms
5 hours ago, teddytn said:

A heat mat will help regardless of the size pot, you’re right less though if really tall. Heat rises the same through the pot though. If you can’t get one, PM me your address and I’ll send you one for Christmas. 

I would love to get a heat mat for germinating and keeping seedlings warm but I'm always without money to buy the things I need but I could never bother anyone to spend money on me because it makes me feel bad!