Sign in to follow this  
newtopalmsMD

What to use for winter mulch?

newtopalmsMD

Here in my MD 7a location I usually add about a foot of oak leaf mulch over the roots of my trachys and sabals for the winter.  I have about 15 (two cubic foot) bags of hardwood mulch that I never put down this summer.  Would it be a good idea to add 3 or 4 inches of this hard wood mulch over the roots of my palms instead of oak leaves?  I also cut down about 10 or so musa basjoo banana tree that I cut down for the winter.  are these banana leaves good for winter mulch to put of the banana stems for the winter?

Thanks

Swolte

No scientific studies on this, I believe, but an educated guess would predict that it largely depends on the paIm's size. The most vulnerable part you'd want to protect is the palm's growing point (e.g., meristem). That means that if you have a (medium sized) trunking palm, the mulch probably won't help much. 

Mulching is generally a good practice, though. I see no problem using banana leaves!

Chester B

Oak leaves are best, and are recommended by most northern gardeners.  They are stiff and keep dry as well as form nice air pockets for insulation.  Other mulches can get wet and introduce mold and fungus.  Stick with what you're  doing.  

• Like 1

D Palm

If you have wet winters, avoid anything that retains a lot of moisture. Shouldn’t bother Sabals but other palms may rot or develop fungal problems. I use Pine Bark in N. Florida.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Fall/Dry Season is scheduled to start in the next day or so when the first "cold" front will drop night time lows below 70F for the first time in 6+ months and shut off the rainy season spigot. But last weekend my husband and I got a jump on yard maintenance by clearing out 2/3 of our west back yard jungle of containerized palm seedlings and shelving units so we could lay mulch. I also scrubbed and hosed off all shelving units on our dock before relaying them in the jungle. I also plan on evaluating, then repotting my container garden in a lighter mix based on coco coir. That was a lot of work and we were exhausted but the jungle could not go on in its current neglected state. Tonight I started prepping the remaining 1/3 of the west jungle for its remodel.
      Back Yard West Jungle, Cape Coral, FL Fall 2020

Pots of seedlings on shelf unit. Large bifid seedlings are Carpoxylon macrospermum

Ravenea julietiae newly planted in jungle

• Moose
      By Moose
      Arborist wood chip drop recieved yesterday afternoon 

• Moose
      By Moose
      Copernicia hospita (25 years planted) center

• Moose
      By Moose
    • Moose
      By Moose
      Lots of Rain falling on the Moose Land. Could be up to 4' before the day is through.
      Spread 6 cu yards of "green mulch" from my pruned mango and avocado trees last month.
      Observed at least 6 different species of mushrooms popping up. The soil and earthworms must be happy.