IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Public Park Palmetum in Peril!

Cindy Adair

Long-time IPS member Elvis Cruz is the primary caretaker of the magnificent palmetum at Morningside Park, Miami, Florida, USA.

B469F0C6-9E64-43EC-BD69-9BF9F87F690C.thumb.jpeg.47a0c385a1d13e25cccde5459a625793.jpeg
Above left to right, that’s a tall Thrinax radiata, then a Copernicia gigas farther back, two tall Bismarckia nobilis farther away, then a row of three Copernicia fallaensis, and a portion of a Corypha utan at frame right.

This 3-acre garden was a defining element of the park’s original design in 1953. However the palmetum had been neglected. The South Florida Palm Society adopted this jewel in the rough, and there are now nearly 200 palms representing over 125 species. The garden is enjoyed by the entire community. Elvis regularly conducts tours for biology students and the general public.

Alarmingly the city is considering demolishing the ENTIRE garden. A public meeting will be held to discuss the fate of the Morningside Park Palmetum. If you reside in the Miami area, please try to attend and help protect this public treasure. Monday, November 29, 2021, at 6 pm, at the Morningside Park community building: 750 NE 55 Terrace, Miami, FL 33137.

For those of you who cannot attend in person, please consider expressing your support of the Morningside Park Palmetum by emailing Miami City Commissioner Ken Russell: KRussell@miamigov.com 

Please let Commissioner Russell know that this palm garden is a precious public asset that has been selflessly and diligently nurtured and maintained by a volunteer organization for the enjoyment and education of the general public.  

For someone in the City government to suggest destroying it, in order to add a playing field to a park that already has plenty, makes no sense.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

On a personal note, I have visited this collection many times over the years.

It is free and just a few minutes from the major South FL airports. Parking is very convenient and the bay view is exceptional. 

The informative easy to read signs

39AC6B16-6B80-41AC-8A22-451E288D1F0E.thumb.jpeg.2b829e36747ee23aae01752cbb1b3a97.jpeg

and generous spacing between palms add to the enjoyment.  The South Florida Palm Society has placed a sign on each and every palm.  The date of planting gives the public an idea of how long it takes a juvenile palm to reach that size.

There are large shade trees, public bathrooms, plenty of room for dog walking, sports and picnics, popular with surrounding areas of all income levels.

Destroying this palm collection would be a crime.

90D48E02-F659-4327-B828-43078B4E0F85.thumb.jpeg.10c42c4b5be24996a17a14ac41389c18.jpeg
Above is Tahina spectabilis, planted on July 9, 2014, photo taken on October 31, 2021.

I am emailing the Miami City Commissioner right now KRussell@miamigov.com and suggest you all do the same.

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

You didn't mention why the city wants to demolish this wonderful garden. Do they have an intended use for the property in mind?

5 minutes ago, Manalto said:

You didn't mention why the city wants to demolish this wonderful garden. Do they have an intended use for the property in mind?

See the last sentence in the first post from Cindy..

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

See the last sentence in the first post from Cindy..

Playing field. Thanks, I missed that. 

• Upvote 1

Checking out the aerial view on Google maps , seems like they could fit a baseball field on the Northside of the park. I'm really hoping they leave the palms alone :rant: Thank you Cindy for bringing this up to the community. 

T J 

T J 

I noticed on the city website for the park they don't even list the palms as a feature?

Features

• After School
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Bathrooms
  • BBQ
  • Boat Ramp
  • Computers
  • Cultural Opportunities
  • Dogs Allowed on Leash
  • Open Area
  • Option to Reserve
  • Outdoor Gym Equipment
  • Parking
  • Picnic Tables
  • Playground
  • Recreation Center
  • Spring Camp
  • Sports Area (Outdoor)
  • Summer Camp
  • Tennis Courts
  • Volleyball
  • Waterfront
  • Winter Camp

I have visited when group sports are in play so already lots of space.

Interesting that the Palmetum is not even featured on the website. It is literally and figuratively the centerpiece although the bay view makes a nice background!

If money were to be available for a park upgrade, fixing the existing public pool makes lots more sense to me than cutting down a couple hundred beautiful palm trees.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

It is a shame that they would even consider demolishing a garden of palms after so many years. I hope the city sees the wisdom of keeping the palms , that is one of the tallest Hyophorbes that I have seen. We can’t even grow those here in Southern California where I am. 

• Like 2

Everyone, especially Cindy, thank you for the support!

Your reaction has been just like most everyone who sees the plan, an incredulous "Why?"  

As best I can tell, there is at least one hidden agenda involved.  Someone in a position of influence wants to suppress usage of the park.  They want to take out the road and parking lots that make it easy and convenient for the public to go there and picnic.  Installing a big grass field under the guise of needing more green space is the best cover story they could come up with.

My main effort right now is to get the park's many fans to show up and speak up at the Community Meeting this coming Monday, November 29, 2021, at 6 pm in the park.  If you're local, please!

• Upvote 1

93101B86-0BA1-4B2A-9295-07F5BBC72DEF_1_105_c.jpeg

Everything you see in the photograph would be removed if the plan succeeds; the restroom building, the palms, even the large shade tree at frame left, Terminalia Arjuna.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Elvis Cruz said:

Everyone, especially Cindy, thank you for the support!

Your reaction has been just like most everyone who sees the plan, an incredulous "Why?"  

As best I can tell, there is at least one hidden agenda involved.  Someone in a position of influence wants to suppress usage of the park.  They want to take out the road and parking lots that make it easy and convenient for the public to go there and picnic.  Installing a big grass field under the guise of needing more green space is the best cover story they could come up with.

My main effort right now is to get the park's many fans to show up and speak up at the Community Meeting this coming Monday, November 29, 2021, at 6 pm in the park.  If you're local, please!

Thank you for your efforts. I'll send an email in support of preserving the garden as it is. 

It seems everywhere, people with influence try to limit public access to green spaces. In Fresno, residents of N Fresno have been fighting the city for years in order to limit access to a parkway along the river... 

• Like 1

Email sent! Thank you Cindy and Elvis!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted here and/or emailed in support. 

I for one would love to have such a park in my neighborhood!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

On 11/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I for one would love to have such a park in my neighborhood!

This would be a dream park for my area haha 

T J 

T J 

It seems like this park is in jeopardy perpetually. I don't get it-do we know exactly WHO is pushing for this to be removed? It makes no sense and will cost money to change it to less. Amazing in the wrong way.

No, we don't know who is pushing for this.  The various City people I've spoken say they don't know.  No one wants their fingerprints on it.

I'll let everyone know after the meeting on Monday evening.

I know in the Parks and Rec world there is a rivalry between the two, there is Parks and there is Recreation.  Most of us think of them as the same thing but they are not.  Recreation is the active part of it, ball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts etc.  Recreation includes all the little league and other sports.  Parks is much more subtle with its open spaces and landscapes. Many Recreation oriented people think that Parks is wasted space.

Sometimes there are certain grants available that pay salaries, buy equipment if you have enough ballfields to meet the grant's levels.  This might be part of it.  Some federal or state agency or private foundation may be pro ballfield and is holding out the carrot for more to be built.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

6 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

I know in the Parks and Rec world there is a rivalry between the two, there is Parks and there is Recreation.  Most of us think of them as the same thing but they are not.  Recreation is the active part of it, ball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts etc.  Recreation includes all the little league and other sports.  Parks is much more subtle with its open spaces and landscapes. Many Recreation oriented people think that Parks is wasted space.

Sometimes there are certain grants available that pay salaries, buy equipment if you have enough ballfields to meet the grant's levels.  This might be part of it.  Some federal or state agency or private foundation may be pro ballfield and is holding out the carrot for more to be built.

Lots of truth to this unfortunately.. and the article Dean linked confirmed a nagging suspicion regarding some degree of motive behind the " new ideas " for this space..  They could fix what needs to be fixed ..add some new things to mitigate any potential climate related issues in the future ..but leave things basically as they should be left, inc. the Palm Garden..  But, it sounds like, overall, aside from adding newer things, those with the " ideas " also want to dissuade certain groups of people from using the space.. that have every right to access it, ..without saying the truth out loud.

As far as the " Well, if there are ball fields / other sports- related uses of a green space, it will be used more than space dedicated to just a Park.." end of a discussion, this isn't always true.. 

It is rare that i see ball fields near me full every day ..or every day, all year..  City- bound parks might not be busy in the summer, but at least they're there -for everyone- to enjoy. 

Crossing my fingers for you ( Elvis )  and those involved in pushing back on the silly ideas / suggested plans for what sounds like a neat place to visit.. We need a lot more places like this, and far less space for rec. fields. < they are the wasted space, not a park.

Results from last night’s meeting about Morningside Park, and the Palmetum, were mixed.

The meeting actually covered five different planning aspects of the park and surroundings, with lots of details.  A small portion of it covered the Palmetum.

We did hear Commissioner Russell say that the park would have a palmetum, so that was certainly welcome news.  

But it’s not clear where it would be.  

There was talk of relocating the Palmetum.  But towards the end a 'raise your hands' vote of the attendees was strongly in favor of keeping the loop road (which circumnavigates the Palmetum), which would lend itself to the Palmetum staying in place.

On the other hand, there was also talk of replacing the soil in the Palmetum.  (The soil there has a high organic content, which drains slowly, as opposed to sandy soil.  Most  palms seem to do well with that, a small number do not.  But the organic soil causes the area to have puddles for two or three days after prolonged heavy rain.)

In a conversation I had with a City official, the possibility of changing the soil in phases was discussed, which could help the Palmetum stay in place.

But there are other factors, like possibly moving the swimming pool, which could trigger other changes.

It was difficult to drill down on specific topics because so much information was given in a short period of time, and many people wanted to talk.  I’ll try to get more information, and keep you posted.

Thank you, everyone, for all your interest and support!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:43 AM, Elvis Cruz said:

But there are other factors, like possibly moving the swimming pool, which could trigger other changes.

This right here would be a huge undertaking for a park that I'm sure makes no money. I can't see that ever happening as pool prices are astronomical right now. I know cause I'm going thru it right now haha Sounds like the palms will be spared for now which is great news !! 

T J 

T J 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest news:  The City of Miami is waffling and backtracking on some statements they made during the November 29, 2021 public meeting.  The palm garden, and several other park amenities, are still threatened!

It's a bit complicated, but this website gives a good overview:  https://miamiparks.org/   

Please go to that website; it includes a button to send an email to the City of Miami officials.  You can personalize that email if you wish.  For example, you can delete the word "Miamians" from the first sentence of the email if you are not local.  (It's a public park, and the City receives Federal money, so anyone can opine.)

Please know the deadline for public comment is December 31, 2021.

Please help!

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do you have a contact for the Nature Conservancy as well? They may not be fully aware of how their grant will affect quality of life for residents.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

12 hours ago, Elvis Cruz said:

Here's the latest news:  The City of Miami is waffling and backtracking on some statements they made during the November 29, 2021 public meeting.  The palm garden, and several other park amenities, are still threatened!

It's a bit complicated, but this website gives a good overview:  https://miamiparks.org/   

Please go to that website; it includes a button to send an email to the City of Miami officials.  You can personalize that email if you wish.  For example, you can delete the word "Miamians" from the first sentence of the email if you are not local.  (It's a public park, and the City receives Federal money, so anyone can opine.)

Please know the deadline for public comment is December 31, 2021.

Please help!

Thank you!

Done.

Email sent (with a few additions!).

Kim Cyr