IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia in eastern NC

WhoDatNation

Good looking bizzies but one hell of an uphill battle in NC 8a. Hopefully people know what they're getting themselves into before making, what I can't imagine to be, a cheap purchase

• Like 4

All i can say is "good luck soldiers"

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

If I remember correctly you don’t really start seeing Bismarckia until Orlando/ Kissimmee area in Florida? 

I guess you could say that. There are some foxtails in Daytona though, so surely some Bizzies live there as well.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Their are some Bismarck’s sparingly planted in Jax, FL and appear to look good in the spring after winter. I have 3 in zone 8b N. Florida. 1 took a beating, or there 2 minimal damage mostly on old fronds. Definitely some variation in cold hardy among species. I never see them in S. GA.  Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, D Palm said:

Their are some Bismarck’s sparingly planted in Jax, FL and appear to look good in the spring after winter. I have 3 in zone 8b N. Florida. 1 took a beating, or there 2 minimal damage mostly on old fronds. Definitely some variation in cold hardy among species. I never see them in S. GA.  Good luck and keep us posted!

There are a few on Jekyll Island and St. Simons: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69548-se-georgia-palms/&do=findComment&comment=1007254

A few are trying them in sheltered areas of SC: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/62142-palms-of-coastal-georgia/&do=findComment&comment=918115

It will be interesting to see how long they are there and what they look like during that time.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've noticed that this nursery has many palms that are going to need some "help" here in 8a (a couple of livistona species, phoenix, etc.).  These bizzies are probably the most egregious offering they have.   

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 2:14 PM, teddytn said:

If I remember correctly you don’t really start seeing Bismarckia until Orlando/ Kissimmee area in Florida? 

The State just planted some on one of the on-ramps to I-95 in the Daytona Area. There ar a few in St. Augustine but are close to the Intracoastal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adam Frank said:

The State just planted some on one of the on-ramps to I-95 in the Daytona Area. There ar a few in St. Augustine but are close to the Intracoastal.

I've seen some crownshaft palms around St Augustine as well.

Those looks great, but their fate is already sealed if you plant something that will die outright on even an average winter.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

21 hours ago, SeanK said:

I've seen some crownshaft palms around St Augustine as well.

Yes, me too, on Water St. in downtown ST Augustine, across from Hurley Haywood's house.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, Joe NC said:

I've noticed that this nursery has many palms that are going to need some "help" here in 8a (a couple of livistona species, phoenix, etc.).  These bizzies are probably the most egregious offering they have.   

I noticed the same thing. They offer lots of palms that aren’t hardy in NC

They may be sold to rich hotels/businesses on the coast for a summer 'annual' planting

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, knikfar said:

I noticed the same thing. They offer lots of palms that aren’t hardy in NC

No different here in TN, potted washies, bizzies, and foxtails for sale, but not a Sabal or needle anywhere to be found…

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, teddytn said:

No different here in TN, potted washies, bizzies, and foxtails for sale, but not a Sabal or needle anywhere to be found…

Funny thing though. I found a European fan palm at a local Home Depot in the house plant section. I felt like I found a treasure. It’s been doing great planted in my front yard. No protection needed. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Funny thing though. I found a European fan palm at a local Home Depot in the house plant section. I felt like I found a treasure. It’s been doing great planted in my front yard. No protection needed. 

They don't want you to plant a palm that will live do they? $$$$$$$

• Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I was looking for palms in Atlanta earlier today and noticed a company there that specializes in palms that sells decent sized Pygmy date palms. Even had a few pics of one planted in a customers yard, along with mule palms. Now why in the world would you sell and install someone a Pygmy date palm in ATL. Unless the customer knows that it’s basically an annual and they’ll need to replace next year then it’s ok. 

People complain about selection at nurseries/garden centers, so they bring in out of zone plants/palms.  Then they complain about having out of zone plants/palms because they die.  So they bring back in limited selection of bullet proof plants/palms.  Endless cycle. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These two were planted the same time as small palms. ~20 years ago. One is twice the size of the other. Planted 40’ apparat. 

208C79CA-1751-49CA-AB5B-FE29D50FB180.jpeg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, D Palm said:

People complain about selection at nurseries/garden centers, so they bring in out of zone plants/palms.  Then they complain about having out of zone plants/palms because they die.  So they bring back in limited selection of bullet proof plants/palms.  Endless cycle. 

Yes that is the cycle, but nowhere in that cycle do they stock uncommon but hardy palms.  For example here I would love to see a greater variety of Sabals available, more Phoenix genus plus hybrids of them (especially in smaller sizes that I could afford)., Allagoptera, Arenga, Attalea, Brahea, Livistona, many Chamaedorea, some Caryota, a few Copernicia, heck a few Dypsis, most of those should do very well in my climate and the others would do well enough.  And all of them are either completely absent or nearly so in local nurseries.  But I can stock up on as many foxtails and bottle palms as I want.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, RJ said:

These two were planted the same time as small palms. ~20 years ago. One is twice the size of the other. Planted 40’ apparat. 

208C79CA-1751-49CA-AB5B-FE29D50FB180.jpeg

where is this?

Lucas

@Xerarch growing multiple variety’s of sabal and Phoenix may prove tough to prevent cross pollination thus creating undesirable hybrids.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, Adam Frank said:

Yep just drove past them not to long ago 

On 2/15/2022 at 1:08 AM, Brad Mondel said:

I've seen bizzies on Edisto Island SC, zone 9a doing well. 

Where at on Edisto? Im there quit frequently 

• Like 1