Bismarckia in eastern NC

WhoDatNation

Hampstead NC ZONE 8A 

5287ED20-25FF-42B8-8456-83B806FD455F.jpeg

• Like 3

ZPalms

I'm beyond jealous :w00t::wub:

DAVEinMB

Good looking bizzies but one hell of an uphill battle in NC 8a. Hopefully people know what they're getting themselves into before making, what I can't imagine to be, a cheap purchase

• Like 1

Las Palmas Norte

Looks fresh planted.  Zone 8a? Humm. 

JLM

All i can say is "good luck soldiers"

teddytn

If I remember correctly you don’t really start seeing Bismarckia until Orlando/ Kissimmee area in Florida? 

JLM
1 hour ago, teddytn said:

If I remember correctly you don’t really start seeing Bismarckia until Orlando/ Kissimmee area in Florida? 

I guess you could say that. There are some foxtails in Daytona though, so surely some Bizzies live there as well.

• Like 2

D Palm

Their are some Bismarck’s sparingly planted in Jax, FL and appear to look good in the spring after winter. I have 3 in zone 8b N. Florida. 1 took a beating, or there 2 minimal damage mostly on old fronds. Definitely some variation in cold hardy among species. I never see them in S. GA.  Good luck and keep us posted!

kinzyjr
20 minutes ago, D Palm said:

Their are some Bismarck’s sparingly planted in Jax, FL and appear to look good in the spring after winter. I have 3 in zone 8b N. Florida. 1 took a beating, or there 2 minimal damage mostly on old fronds. Definitely some variation in cold hardy among species. I never see them in S. GA.  Good luck and keep us posted!

There are a few on Jekyll Island and St. Simons: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69548-se-georgia-palms/&do=findComment&comment=1007254

A few are trying them in sheltered areas of SC: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/62142-palms-of-coastal-georgia/&do=findComment&comment=918115

It will be interesting to see how long they are there and what they look like during that time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Joe NC

I've noticed that this nursery has many palms that are going to need some "help" here in 8a (a couple of livistona species, phoenix, etc.).  These bizzies are probably the most egregious offering they have.   

• Like 3