IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fall/Winter in the tropical forest garden

Paradise Found

here something I have never shown in a long time, its my tropical forest. All the tender plants that are here in spring/summer have been taken inside all the bare bones of the garden are all thats left.  enjoy the peacefulness.  

IMG-1938.JPG

IMG-2024.JPG

IMG-2015.JPG

IMG-2030.JPG

IMG-2021.JPG

IMG-1842.JPG

IMG-2036.JPG

IMG-1981.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

What kind of cycad is that? 

cycad taitungensis x guizhouensis.  z8a.  stands about 4' tall. 

Here is another area that is forested with palms and one tree... embothrium tree. Several windmilds, two butia, little mono grass and schefflera. The butia pics are the trunks only because at this stage they are all about the same height... almost forgot, Butia x Queen f1... Second picture is the trunk and spears. 

Thank You!

IMG-2113.JPG

IMG-2114.JPG

IMG-2135.jpg

IMG-2123.JPG

IMG-2126.JPG

Butia 1. First time ever photograph. IMG-2136.JPG

Butia 2. IMG-2149.JPG

This is the pathway out of the tropical forest. IMG-2139.JPG

IMG-2099.JPG

IMG-2105.JPGThank you for looking!!! 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Hutch said:

Just Awesome..!!!

Thanks Hutch...:lol:....Dartolution!

Thanks everyone and if anything happens this winter I will post it here.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same here ...i will document my mule palm...and CIDP....for everyone in the northwest..ect...this them last day of Nov....

16383171258541648628343798275398.jpg

16383171465164244130514009593836.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Both are good looking and awesome best I've seen in the PNW.

Biggest mule for sure.  I'm taking claim to the biggest Sabal brazoriensis in the PNW.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hutch said:

We need pics ......Chester....:rolleyes:....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys.  Yes I was speaking to the owner of the local palm nursery about Sabal palms and he mentioned he had a couple left over from a landscaping job at a restaurant/bar somewhere on the coast.  He brought them in for me to look at, but one had spear pulled so I was only able to purchase the one.  He had no idea what species they were or even if they were hardy to our zone.  So I rolled the dice and struck a deal with him and had to rent a small UHaul to bring it home.  I planted it Aug 25, 2018.  At first I thought it was a big Sabal minor but after a year or so in the ground it started going Costapalmate and for the last two years it has flowered.  Based on the morphology and its cold hardiness I am convinced this is S brazoriensis and not the other likely suspects like Louisana (which I have two).  So basically it was a one shot deal and I was lucky to find it for our area.  Here's a picture of when I first planted it.  The old fence was about 2' shorter than the new one.  I did remove those top two yellowed fronds as they ended up looking pretty bad after a couple of winters.  At some point it was in too much shade so that's why it had those two big elephant ears when I first got it.

5F77AC53-2F5D-4280-AD39-3202224A1684.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 12:26 AM, Paradise Found said:

Here is another area that is forested with palms and one tree... embothrium tree. Several windmilds, two butia, little mono grass and schefflera. The butia pics are the trunks only because at this stage they are all about the same height... almost forgot, Butia x Queen f1... Second picture is the trunk and spears. 

Thank You!

IMG-2113.JPG

IMG-2114.JPG

IMG-2135.jpg

IMG-2123.JPG

IMG-2126.JPG

Butia 1. First time ever photograph. IMG-2136.JPG

Butia 2. IMG-2149.JPG

This is the pathway out of the tropical forest. IMG-2139.JPG

IMG-2099.JPG

IMG-2105.JPGThank you for looking!!! 

That schefflera is super cool, where did you source it?

33 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

That schefflera is super cool, where did you source it?

Dave, I got it from a gardening friend and he got it at WindCliff Nursery.  They don't do mail order.  Onsite only.  Sorry!

Monrovia sell this one that I have, Schefflera Taiwaniana.  Maybe some one else has a source on here? 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Dave, I got it from a gardening friend and he got it at WindCliff Nursery.  They don't do mail order.  Onsite only.  Sorry!

Monrovia sell this one that I have, Schefflera Taiwaniana.  Maybe some one else has a source on here? 

I found some on Monrovia, thanks!

On 12/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, Chester B said:

Thanks guys.  Yes I was speaking to the owner of the local palm nursery about Sabal palms and he mentioned he had a couple left over from a landscaping job at a restaurant/bar somewhere on the coast.  He brought them in for me to look at, but one had spear pulled so I was only able to purchase the one.  He had no idea what species they were or even if they were hardy to our zone.  So I rolled the dice and struck a deal with him and had to rent a small UHaul to bring it home.  I planted it Aug 25, 2018.  At first I thought it was a big Sabal minor but after a year or so in the ground it started going Costapalmate and for the last two years it has flowered.  Based on the morphology and its cold hardiness I am convinced this is S brazoriensis and not the other likely suspects like Louisana (which I have two).  So basically it was a one shot deal and I was lucky to find it for our area.  Here's a picture of when I first planted it.  The old fence was about 2' shorter than the new one.  I did remove those top two yellowed fronds as they ended up looking pretty bad after a couple of winters.  At some point it was in too much shade so that's why it had those two big elephant ears when I first got it.

5F77AC53-2F5D-4280-AD39-3202224A1684.jpeg

At about what distance was this planted from the fence?

16 hours ago, amh said:

At about what distance was this planted from the fence?

Unfortunately too close. About 5 foot away. These really spread out as they get bigger. 

• Like 1

The last two big wind storms blew my Red Banana down and center leaves too.  But, Still Alive! lol

IMG-2214.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, Trustandi said:

@Paradise Foundyou cracked me up! :D lol... I  will have to post the picture of my unhappy brugmansia.

Yes do show your Brugmansia, mine is still in good shape and a few new buds are growing slowly. 

A few more shade plants and some shade flowers Blooming now.  

IMG-2221.JPG

IMG-2247.JPG

IMG-2190.JPG

unnamed-1.jpg

IMG-2301.JPG

IMG-2226.JPG

IMG-2219.JPG

IMG-2232.JPG

IMG-2200.JPG

IMG-2187.JPG

IMG-2305.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

Your Angle Tree is still looking good.  

That is the climbing Fuchsia magellanica very common in the PNW. This one is 10-11 ft tall climbing up a Trachy. 

url.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After my appointment downtown I took some interesting pictures on my walk home.  I was really surprise to see a small W. robusta and Traveler's palm. 13 photos and thats it I promise.  Bananas are out in the open and look wind damaged.  A few nice Windmill Palms. 

IMG-2402.JPG

IMG-2405.JPG

IMG-2370.JPG

IMG-2391.JPG

IMG-2398.JPG

IMG-2395.JPG

IMG-2383.JPG

IMG-2380.JPG

IMG-2387.JPG

IMG-2361.JPG

IMG-2352.JPG

The washington is only 15ft. Above sea level. 

IMG-2364.JPG

IMG-2369.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2