IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

White "fungus/mold on leaf bases of mature triangle

palmboi

I always lookup at my palms when I come home .late tonight I saw this White "fungus/mold on leaf bases of  my mature triangle palm?

I've  been growing palms for over 25 years now, since I have  rudimentary  knowledge of palm diseases. But I have never seen this.

There are No ganoderma conchs on the base any where.

a

All fronds and leaf boots above these and new spears look fine. ( at nite)

Any clues or diagnosis  would be appreciated 

20211116_232237.jpg

20211116_232258.jpg

20211116_232513.jpg

20211116_232520.jpg

20211116_232525.jpg

20211116_232737.jpg

20211116_232759.jpg

20211116_232442~2.jpg

That is really odd, I've never seen anything like that either.  It hasn't been unusually wet or hot or cold recently, but I have seen a lot of fungi pop up in the yard over the past few weeks.  Maybe you have a scale or whitefly infestation, and the sap/honeydew is causing fungal growth?

I have something that looks very very similar on my sabal which is planted in a damp, shady spot. I've been hitting it with h2o2, seems to be helping

20210821_223206.jpg

20210821_223214.jpg

20210821_223227.jpg

10 hours ago, Merlyn said:

That is really odd, I've never seen anything like that either.  It hasn't been unusually wet or hot or cold recently, but I have seen a lot of fungi pop up in the yard over the past few weeks.  Maybe you have a scale or whitefly infestation, and the sap/honeydew is causing fungal growth?

Not Sure,  we have had a lot of  good rain here in st pete area followed by some long dry spells. H Don't have any experince with white flies but sounds plausible, Thanks

8 hours ago, rprimbs said:

That's weird.  It looks like powdery mildew.  Is it in a wet shady spot?

Thanks, again I'm not sure, I need to get out a taller ladder to to see if I can get closer to it. it' gets pretty much almost full afternoon sun

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I have something that looks very very similar on my sabal which is planted in a damp, shady spot. I've been hitting it with h2o2, seems to be helping

20210821_223206.jpg

20210821_223214.jpg

20210821_223227.jpg

you are right looks very similar, tho only around bases of leaf boots, none at base, we've had some good rains the last several month and it get almost full afternoon sun. How are you applying the h2o2? full strength? Thanks for your help

10 minutes ago, palmboi said:

you are right looks very similar, tho only around bases of leaf boots, none at base, we've had some good rains the last several month and it get almost full afternoon sun. How are you applying the h2o2? full strength? Thanks for your help

Yep, full strength. I used the garden hose on a strong spray setting to get the heavy stuff off then hit it with undiluted h202. The base of the trunk was a tad soft where the build up was so I'm glad I addressed it. I have a L. Hoehnei planted next to the sabal that's starting to get the same buildup so I'm keeping at eye on that one too. I'll let you know how things look moving forward. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yep, full strength. I used the garden hose on a strong spray setting to get the heavy stuff off then hit it with undiluted h202. The base of the trunk was a tad soft where the build up was so I'm glad I addressed it. I have a L. Hoehnei planted next to the sabal that's starting to get the same buildup so I'm keeping at eye on that one too. I'll let you know how things look moving forward. 

Ok thanks so much, I'll try that too

• Like 1