IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A mysterious Syagrus

pietropuccio

A mysterious Syagrus

Fifteen years ago, I bought a Syagrus vagans seedling at the FTG, growing up it became clear that it was something else. The palm has three uncommon characteristics among the Syagrus (see Noblick L. R. – A Revision of the genus Syagrus): long pseudopetiole and petiole (the latter 51.9 ± 5.8 cm long), fruits (L = 4.5 ± 0.42 cm; Ø = 3.3 ± 0.2 cm) with split tips and endosperm with internal cavity. No species, as far as I know, has these characteristics at the same time, from the name given by the seller and the long petioles it is likely a hybrid of the vagans, the only known is the x matafome, but it does not seem to correspond. The species that present at the same time split fruits at the apex and hollow endosperm that are similar in other characteristics to my palm are S. kellyana and S. picrophylla.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2064536061_Syagrus01IPS.jpg.4ced94a9e018e2c100e4da3b9c747fc1.jpg.

1273020280_Syagrusrach_IPS0.jpg.10bd06057c892949b8833af11c8964bd.jpg

1994894136_flowersIPS.jpg.aa214ba1083409bbe6cae22236ac9500.jpg

853682833_Syagrus02-FruitssplitsIPS.jpg.a229d6fd1ac4104562f061643cf2a0f9.jpg

1497984352_Fruits-splitsIPS.jpg.0e1dbe8e6e33313a322096e20e4c8a9a.jpg

1753868639_SyagrushollowIPS.jpg.ed816765fad1f7a1fad6382e939d0706.jpg

869438097_SyagrusramentaIPS.jpg.db5b0a960db1075ff5a2f469b99fe877.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

You might try contacting Larry Noblick directly. I believe he is still at Montgomery Botanical.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim,  I will, although I think he is very busy in his research work.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Very nice documentation indeed. Fine work. I looked a those two mentioned ( Kellan, picrophylla) and see differences. One is what I think you mean by pseudopetiole. Just to be clear, what is a 'pseudopetiole'?

4 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Very nice documentation indeed. Fine work. I looked a those two mentioned ( Kellan, picrophylla) and see differences. One is what I think you mean by pseudopetiole. Just to be clear, what is a 'pseudopetiole'?

Thanks! I meant the part of the stem of the leaf with the fibrous margins, but it seems that now we prefer to call the whole stem petiole.

• Like 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

It was a great surprise for me to receive a very kind reply from Dr. Noblick after a few hours, which I sincerely thank. For the long peduncles of the inflorescences, the fibrous mesocarp, the splitting fruits and the central cavity of the endosperm, he believes it is Syagrus lorenzoniorum.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I felt sure, with your detailed examination and documentation, that Larry would respond to you. He is a very kind person and generous with his knowledge.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

22 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

18 hours ago, pietropuccio said:

Thanks! I meant the part of the stem of the leaf with the fibrous margins, but it seems that now we prefer to call the whole stem petiole.

Actually this term is frequently in use for the definition of the leaf rachis on Phoenix spp, which is equiped with acanthoPHYLLS  aka spines. People commonly do not consider the spines as simply modified leaflets and therefore they do not consider this part of the rachis to be strictly such. But technically it neither part of the petiole and hence the term pseudopetiole.

• Like 1