IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with my mule?!?!

Sean.N.GulfBreeze

The one I got this year was a 15 gallon for $149, and the three I got last year were 6 gallons for $79 each.  The 6 gallons ones were in the ground almost 2 years and they are between 9-12ft tall already, overall height.  

23 minutes ago, Sean.N.GulfBreeze said:

The one I got this year was a 15 gallon for $149, and the three I got last year were 6 gallons for $79 each.  The 6 gallons ones were in the ground almost 2 years and they are between 9-12ft tall already, overall height.  

So they get a certain amount of both or is it variable? Like a mix of 6 and 15's or a number of 6's and a number of 15's which would total a greater number? 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 minutes ago, JLM said:

So they get a certain amount of both or is it variable? Like a mix of 6 and 15's or a number of 6's and a number of 15's which would total a greater number? 

It varies....This year was only 15 gallons, last year only 6 gallons.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean.N.GulfBreeze said:

It varies....This year was only 15 gallons, last year only 6 gallons.  

Hopefully they have a mix or only 6's. I dont know if ill have enough "palm money" left over after everything im wanting to get thats actually essential next Spring. I guess if all else fails, i can get one of the smaller Mules from MPOM next year for $65.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

12 minutes ago, JLM said:

Hopefully they have a mix or only 6's. I dont know if ill have enough "palm money" left over after everything im wanting to get thats actually essential next Spring. I guess if all else fails, i can get one of the smaller Mules from MPOM next year for $65.

I feel you......I've invested more than I should have so far.  But, the 15 palms I have are beautiful!  I have a mix with 7 Sabals, 2 queens, 2 pygmy dates, now 3 mules,  and 1 European fan palm.  Also a few ice cream bananas!

Edited by Sean.N.GulfBreeze
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean.N.GulfBreeze said:

I feel you......I've invested more than I should have so far.  But, the 15 palms I have are beautiful!  I have a mix with 7 Sabals, 2 queens, 2 pygmy dates, now 3 mules,  1 European fan palm.  

How long have the Pygmy dates been in the ground? Any protection?

Just now, JLM said:

How long have the Pygmy dates been in the ground? Any protection?

One for 3 years, on the Southside of the house and one for 2 years on the west.  I throw a blanket on them in the cold nights.  The one on the south get no damage, and the other has had a few burned fronds. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sean.N.GulfBreeze said:

One for 3 years, on the Southside of the house and one for 2 years on the west.  I throw a blanket on them in the cold nights.  The one on the south get no damage, and the other has had a few burned fronds. 

I have a little tiny one in the ground under my more robust Queen. It still has strap leaves, but the newer fronds are pinnate. Probably gonna cover in mulch for freezes since its so small. It is protected from frost.

37 minutes ago, JLM said:

I have a little tiny one in the ground under my more robust Queen. It still has strap leaves, but the newer fronds are pinnate. Probably gonna cover in mulch for freezes since its so small. It is protected from frost.

We live in sort of a 9a micro climate.  We are pretty close to the Santa Rosa sound and close proximity East Bay.  I've only had to cover them a few times in the last couple years.  Probably wasn't even entirely necessary either.  How long have your queens been in the ground?  I've seen VERY few mature queens in this area.  I only know of 3 in Gulf Breeze.  Ours are getting pretty large, we have a 2 story house and they are almost at the roof line

Edited by Sean.N.GulfBreeze

1 hour ago, Sean.N.GulfBreeze said:

We live in sort of a 9a micro climate.  We are pretty close to the Santa Rosa sound and close proximity East Bay.  I've only had to cover them a few times in the last couple years.  Probably wasn't even entirely necessary either.  How long have your queens been in the ground?  I've seen VERY few mature queens in this area.  I only know of 3 in Gulf Breeze.  Ours are getting pretty large, we have a 2 story house and they are almost at the roof line

Since late summer of 2019. We have had plenty of warm winters lately. I have a Bismarckia seedling in the ground as well thats still pushing along. It has the red tint to it from the frost we had not long ago. I had collected a few Sabal palmetto seeds from Pensacola Beach back when everything was just beginning to shut down last year, and the more robust grower is hopefully getting ready to begin the transition to palmate fronds. I have saw plenty of small Queens up this way, there are 7 total in my neighborhood alone, with me having 4 and someone else having a group of 3. There is a house down Woodbine Rd that has several Queens, 2 of which the top of the fronds are almost level with the gutters on the house. I have also seen two that are probably level with the top of a house, but these were likely installed at this size. Most of the palms i have are in my signature, which you will find below each message i send. In terms of microclimates and stuff, the Escambia River seemed to help when we had the frost here not long ago. The Pace area was in the mid 30's while Milton was at or below the freezing mark. In fact, NAS Whiting Field, which has an NWS weather station on site, recorded 30F-31F that morning. Jay, which you would think would be just as if not colder than Milton, was as warm as Pace. I seriously think its the Escambia River. It doesnt help much, especially during advective freezes, or when the flow is out of the Northeast (this is when Ferry Pass/Cantonment area has the benefit), but it helps with a couple of degrees, which can mean life or death for Queens and other palms in the area.