IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Confused Butia???

Scott W

Noted the other day a Butia growing on a side street not far from me pushing up an inflorescence.  Seems a bit late in the season to me in my limited time really paying attention to their cycles.  So this leaves me wondering....is I just confused and doesn't realize it's out of season or do Butia occasionally do this?

It does produce viable seed based on the ones growing in the trunk...

PXL_20211115_195846346.thumb.jpg.da4e12e4afd101547c74227ba7a29b76.jpg

PXL_20211115_195825177.thumb.jpg.17162226541f651807d9a6f0a0f04117.jpg

PXL_20211115_195858869.thumb.jpg.a6082c6b37a302c1484c4d71ff9f48f7.jpg

@Scott W I have two Butia in the backyard that are currently flowering.  I haven't actually paid attention to them, but there are little flowers all over the ground right now.  The one in the front yard is just barely trunking, and it hasn't started flowering yet.  So I don't know what their "normal" cycle is, but it seems that November is part of it!  :D 

• Like 2

@Merlyn thanks for the input.  I know the three large ones in my neighbors yard that I plan to use next year for hybrids are not, so it seems odd to me.

Butia odorata in my parent's yard sometimes puts out a flower very late in the year into winter. I remember one year after freezing temperatures when it finally opened the inflorescence was dead inside.

I just noticed it's doing it again this year with a new unopened inflorescence only pushed up about a 1/3rd of the way up.

• Like 1

@Steve in Florida & @Matthew92 yeah, sadly these are just in the parking lot of a small shopping center.  I've lived in this area for the last 6 years and they've always been there.  Not very robust or tall, only about six feet of trunk.  I'm sure they are the standard odorata but wasn't sure if flowering cycles differed with other types.  Thanks for the input.

Butia odorata can flower at any time of the year at my place. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 months later...

Same Butia has another inflorescence open.  No seed set from the previous one.  Again just odd to me as I've seen no other Butia in flower anywhere near me... probably too cold for the bees as well.PXL_20220121_204111104.thumb.jpg.5976f7add3439eb31546403cd8d3a4dd.jpg

PXL_20220121_204115926.thumb.jpg.7521f2061d0086e539a7f8d3e0834eab.jpg