Scott W

Confused Butia???

Scott W

Noted the other day a Butia growing on a side street not far from me pushing up an inflorescence.  Seems a bit late in the season to me in my limited time really paying attention to their cycles.  So this leaves me wondering....is I just confused and doesn't realize it's out of season or do Butia occasionally do this?

It does produce viable seed based on the ones growing in the trunk...

PXL_20211115_195846346.thumb.jpg.da4e12e4afd101547c74227ba7a29b76.jpg

PXL_20211115_195825177.thumb.jpg.17162226541f651807d9a6f0a0f04117.jpg

PXL_20211115_195858869.thumb.jpg.a6082c6b37a302c1484c4d71ff9f48f7.jpg

Merlyn

@Scott W I have two Butia in the backyard that are currently flowering.  I haven't actually paid attention to them, but there are little flowers all over the ground right now.  The one in the front yard is just barely trunking, and it hasn't started flowering yet.  So I don't know what their "normal" cycle is, but it seems that November is part of it!  :D 

• Like 2

Scott W

@Merlyn thanks for the input.  I know the three large ones in my neighbors yard that I plan to use next year for hybrids are not, so it seems odd to me.

Matthew92

Butia odorata in my parent's yard sometimes puts out a flower very late in the year into winter. I remember one year after freezing temperatures when it finally opened the inflorescence was dead inside.

I just noticed it's doing it again this year with a new unopened inflorescence only pushed up about a 1/3rd of the way up.

• Like 1

Steve in Florida

I have a few Butia catarinensis and Butia 'Florianopolis' that will bloom in the late fall.

• Like 1

Scott W

@Steve in Florida & @Matthew92 yeah, sadly these are just in the parking lot of a small shopping center.  I've lived in this area for the last 6 years and they've always been there.  Not very robust or tall, only about six feet of trunk.  I'm sure they are the standard odorata but wasn't sure if flowering cycles differed with other types.  Thanks for the input.

Tyrone

Butia odorata can flower at any time of the year at my place. 

• Like 1