Sign in to follow this  
Dantana

First-Time Caller / Strange new leaf on Rhopalostylis

Dantana

Hello All!

This is my first post to PalmTalk although I've been on here for years, admiring your palms and learning tons from your exchanges. We have a Rhopalostylis Sapida v. "Oceana" that's been in the ground for almost 4 years. It's always seemed relatively happy and growing at a decent clip. But check out this new spear that's coming up. Should I be concerned? It's definitely not like the other ones. 

Thank you,

Dan

Sapida 1.jpg

Sapida 2.jpg

Sapida 3.jpg

• Like 3

cbmnz

Looks like the spear partially  opened prematurely and got caught while emerging. As the palm otherwise looks healthy I think it will be fine, but that frond will be a bit misshapen for all its days.

• Like 1

Tyrone

That’s a hook leaf condition caused by a boron deficiency when that spear was forming in the growing bud. It’s likely to have rectified itself as boron deficiencies come and go over time. Wet conditions can create it. Just give it some trace elements that contain boron and it likely will never do it again. You may also need to help it open that spear as the hooks will hold it together. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Merlyn

@Tyrone is probably correct, it looks like a boron deficiency.  The first photo has some fused leaflet tips in a prior frond, which makes me think that your palm has had a moderate deficiency for a while.  It may be worthwhile giving it a *small* amount of boron dissolved in a gallon of water, like 1tsp maximum.  Here's some more diagnostic info on boron deficiencies and management:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP264

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Darold Petty

Yah, what Tyrone said !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

@Dantana nice to meet you!

I see you're in the Los Angeles area. Generally, most soils in the greater LA area are former farmlands that, by and large, rarely have problems with trace element deficiencies, though there are exceptions. It looks like your Rhopie is well fed. I'd just leave that funky leaf on there until it falls off naturally.

There are commercial palm fertilizers that are specially made to deal with or head off trace element problems, once of which is JR Simplot's Palms Plus.

If you're ever up in the general area near Whittier/North OC, you're welcome to give me a buzz and have a visit.

Dantana

Thank you all for the guidance. I've been using PalmGain for a few years but perhaps Palms Plus will sort it out. 

Tyrone

Was just thinking afterwards that good composted leaf litter and organic matter is a good source of trace elements such as boron. So in practical terms an organic rich thick mulch may help. Rhopalostylis actually love deep leaf litter. 

• Like 3

BigWaveDav3

Hi DoomsDave, 

I looked at the analysis on Palms Plus after using it for the last year and could not find any reference to Boron in the trace elements. Am I missing something such as some of the other elements contain traces of Boron?

For reference: http://techsheets.simplot.com/Best/74167_palmplus1358.pdf

• Like 1

DoomsDave
8 hours ago, BigWaveDav3 said:

Hi DoomsDave, 

I looked at the analysis on Palms Plus after using it for the last year and could not find any reference to Boron in the trace elements. Am I missing something such as some of the other elements contain traces of Boron?

For reference: http://techsheets.simplot.com/Best/74167_palmplus1358.pdf

You're right, I stand corrected.

This piece illustrates the problem and explains it nicely, as @Tyrone and others have done. It illustrates really really bad B deficiency, which appears mostly absent here, though I'm sure someone will come with an example.

It boosts the idea of organic mulch in abundance, which I do, both aggressively (by applying organics) and by default (not being compulsively tidy).

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP264

• Like 2

DoomsDave
On 11/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, Dantana said:

Thank you all for the guidance. I've been using PalmGain for a few years but perhaps Palms Plus will sort it out. 

You might want Palms plus anyway, but do the leaf litter thing. Apparently PP doesn't have Boron in it (apparently, you can't put it in fertilizer, though I wonder about that, too).

I use wood chips, and sometimes rake decayed stuff into layers under the palms, then spread wood chips over it. So far, little or no B problems on my multitude of palms.

Certain palms seem more prone to B problems than others.

Again, I think your Rhopie will be fine. (If you have other palms, show them too!)