IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First-Time Caller / Strange new leaf on Rhopalostylis

Dantana

Hello All!

This is my first post to PalmTalk although I've been on here for years, admiring your palms and learning tons from your exchanges. We have a Rhopalostylis Sapida v. "Oceana" that's been in the ground for almost 4 years. It's always seemed relatively happy and growing at a decent clip. But check out this new spear that's coming up. Should I be concerned? It's definitely not like the other ones. 

Thank you,

Dan

Sapida 1.jpg

Sapida 2.jpg

Sapida 3.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like the spear partially  opened prematurely and got caught while emerging. As the palm otherwise looks healthy I think it will be fine, but that frond will be a bit misshapen for all its days.

• Like 1

That’s a hook leaf condition caused by a boron deficiency when that spear was forming in the growing bud. It’s likely to have rectified itself as boron deficiencies come and go over time. Wet conditions can create it. Just give it some trace elements that contain boron and it likely will never do it again. You may also need to help it open that spear as the hooks will hold it together. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

@Tyrone is probably correct, it looks like a boron deficiency.  The first photo has some fused leaflet tips in a prior frond, which makes me think that your palm has had a moderate deficiency for a while.  It may be worthwhile giving it a *small* amount of boron dissolved in a gallon of water, like 1tsp maximum.  Here's some more diagnostic info on boron deficiencies and management:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP264

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

@Dantana nice to meet you!

I see you're in the Los Angeles area. Generally, most soils in the greater LA area are former farmlands that, by and large, rarely have problems with trace element deficiencies, though there are exceptions. It looks like your Rhopie is well fed. I'd just leave that funky leaf on there until it falls off naturally.

There are commercial palm fertilizers that are specially made to deal with or head off trace element problems, once of which is JR Simplot's Palms Plus.

If you're ever up in the general area near Whittier/North OC, you're welcome to give me a buzz and have a visit.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Was just thinking afterwards that good composted leaf litter and organic matter is a good source of trace elements such as boron. So in practical terms an organic rich thick mulch may help. Rhopalostylis actually love deep leaf litter. 

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi DoomsDave, 

I looked at the analysis on Palms Plus after using it for the last year and could not find any reference to Boron in the trace elements. Am I missing something such as some of the other elements contain traces of Boron?

For reference: http://techsheets.simplot.com/Best/74167_palmplus1358.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigWaveDav3 said:

Hi DoomsDave, 

I looked at the analysis on Palms Plus after using it for the last year and could not find any reference to Boron in the trace elements. Am I missing something such as some of the other elements contain traces of Boron?

For reference: http://techsheets.simplot.com/Best/74167_palmplus1358.pdf

You're right, I stand corrected.

This piece illustrates the problem and explains it nicely, as @Tyrone and others have done. It illustrates really really bad B deficiency, which appears mostly absent here, though I'm sure someone will come with an example.

It boosts the idea of organic mulch in abundance, which I do, both aggressively (by applying organics) and by default (not being compulsively tidy).

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP264

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, Dantana said:

Thank you all for the guidance. I've been using PalmGain for a few years but perhaps Palms Plus will sort it out. 

You might want Palms plus anyway, but do the leaf litter thing. Apparently PP doesn't have Boron in it (apparently, you can't put it in fertilizer, though I wonder about that, too).

I use wood chips, and sometimes rake decayed stuff into layers under the palms, then spread wood chips over it. So far, little or no B problems on my multitude of palms.

Certain palms seem more prone to B problems than others.

Again, I think your Rhopie will be fine. (If you have other palms, show them too!)