Sign in to follow this  
quaman58

Chamaedorea woodsoniana

quaman58

Hey all, 

Both myself and next door neighbor have been growing this palm for a few years. It occurred to me early this year that mine is male and his is female. So in the spring I cut the inflorescence that had just opened on mine and tied it onto his which had female flowers that had yet to open. Forgot all about it until I was wandering around his garden today. Whoa.. Thought I’d share.. 

AC3DB5C9-3705-4331-B7A0-6AC32B851548.jpeg

CAD26942-12D7-48BD-8BDA-4BF8C379C1DA.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

quaman58

Interestingly, there’s a female C. tepijilote a few feet away in my garden and despite my numerous attempts at cross pollination, it’s been a no go. 

Darold Petty

I have only a male plant of flowering size, but it always makes copious quantities of pollen.  Congratulations ! :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

tim_brissy_13

I’ve got what I think is a single male. Flowers develop over winter and then have a sweet fragrance in spring. Are there any known possible hybrids with C woodsoniana? I wouldn’t think there would be many female plants in my area. 

FDB97096-AE78-4ED5-B38A-EFDF8E91C09E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

quaman58

Tim, you’d think with all the variety of Chamaedorea out there, that would hybridize like crazy. I’m sure there are some that do, but none come to mind. I thought since the tepjilote was also a bigger palm that maybe I’d have some success. But they seem to want to stick to their own kind.

Phoenikakias

Apart from the fact that specimens of this kind are relatively rarely available (at least in Europe), both plants pictured here do not look at their best. I wonder what has caused their inconvenience; to much sun, to much shade, lack of air moisture, to high temps or what else?

Edited by Phoenikakias

quaman58
25 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Apart from the fact that specimens of this kind are relatively rarely available (at least in Europe), both plants pictured here do not look at their best. I wonder what has caused their inconvenience; to much sun, to much shade, lack of air moisture, to high temps or what else?

So, the neighbors is in too much sun for sure. Mine is under canopy, is considerably overhead and looks good. With the possible exception that in the tropics it would likely hold more leaves. Mine holds about 5 before the bottom one drops off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

tim_brissy_13
2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Mine is in full sun up until midday which it doesn’t love. It’s also fully exposed to open air and we have about 5 light frost this winter. It would no doubt look better under dense canopy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1