IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea woodsoniana

quaman58

Hey all, 

Both myself and next door neighbor have been growing this palm for a few years. It occurred to me early this year that mine is male and his is female. So in the spring I cut the inflorescence that had just opened on mine and tied it onto his which had female flowers that had yet to open. Forgot all about it until I was wandering around his garden today. Whoa.. Thought I’d share.. 

AC3DB5C9-3705-4331-B7A0-6AC32B851548.jpeg

CAD26942-12D7-48BD-8BDA-4BF8C379C1DA.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Interestingly, there’s a female C. tepijilote a few feet away in my garden and despite my numerous attempts at cross pollination, it’s been a no go. 

Bret

I have only a male plant of flowering size, but it always makes copious quantities of pollen.  Congratulations ! :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

I’ve got what I think is a single male. Flowers develop over winter and then have a sweet fragrance in spring. Are there any known possible hybrids with C woodsoniana? I wouldn’t think there would be many female plants in my area. 

FDB97096-AE78-4ED5-B38A-EFDF8E91C09E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Tim, you’d think with all the variety of Chamaedorea out there, that would hybridize like crazy. I’m sure there are some that do, but none come to mind. I thought since the tepjilote was also a bigger palm that maybe I’d have some success. But they seem to want to stick to their own kind.

Bret

Apart from the fact that specimens of this kind are relatively rarely available (at least in Europe), both plants pictured here do not look at their best. I wonder what has caused their inconvenience; to much sun, to much shade, lack of air moisture, to high temps or what else?

Edited by Phoenikakias

25 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Apart from the fact that specimens of this kind are relatively rarely available (at least in Europe), both plants pictured here do not look at their best. I wonder what has caused their inconvenience; to much sun, to much shade, lack of air moisture, to high temps or what else?

So, the neighbors is in too much sun for sure. Mine is under canopy, is considerably overhead and looks good. With the possible exception that in the tropics it would likely hold more leaves. Mine holds about 5 before the bottom one drops off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bret

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Mine is in full sun up until midday which it doesn’t love. It’s also fully exposed to open air and we have about 5 light frost this winter. It would no doubt look better under dense canopy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2021 at 10:31 AM, quaman58 said:

Tim, you’d think with all the variety of Chamaedorea out there, that would hybridize like crazy. I’m sure there are some that do, but none come to mind. I thought since the tepjilote was also a bigger palm that maybe I’d have some success. But they seem to want to stick to their own kind.

Hi Bret, 

Tepijilote "alone" is a beautiful Chameadorea.

I had success with Woodsoniana ( Male) X chamaedorea costaricana  ( Female)  and also reverse X.  The 1st mentioned is a simply made Costaricana's stem MUCH wider and very upright with much larger fronds.  The reverse X using Woodsonoana as the seed parent turned out VERY unappealing.

I LOVE "Trial n Error" it the BEST teacher..

Sorry I don't have a mobile to take a pic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 65Pedro said:

Hi Bret, 

Tepijilote "alone" is a beautiful Chameadorea.

I had success with Woodsoniana ( Male) X chamaedorea costaricana  ( Female)  and also reverse X.  The 1st mentioned is a simply made Costaricana's stem MUCH wider and very upright with much larger fronds.  The reverse X using Woodsonoana as the seed parent turned out VERY unappealing.

I LOVE "Trial n Error" it the BEST teacher..

Sorry I don't have a mobile to take a pic.

I’ve got some seeds forming on my oblongata. I pollinated it with woodsoniana pollen from the plant above. Fingers crossed they are viable. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

11 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’ve got some seeds forming on my oblongata. I pollinated it with woodsoniana pollen from the plant above. Fingers crossed they are viable. 

Hi Tim, mate if you've got seeds forming and gave it plenty or Woodsoniana pollen which seems to be of an Alpha Male Pollinator 😂 ALL should be GOOD. 💪🌱🌱🌱

X breeding is good fun eh. 👌

Look fwd to yr updates. 👍

• Like 1

Good info Pete, thanks for that! Even got some costaricana to try it out on…

• Like 1

Bret

Nothing to say, just a photo to share, taken earlier today at the San Francisco Botanical Garden.PXL_20230312_200433033.thumb.jpg.4f677ef4ceae72b9082ccdaf63c55935.jpg

• Like 1

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

10 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Good info Pete, thanks for that! Even got some costaricana to try it out on…

Your very welcome Bret.

You'll get some VERY thick upright stunning looking Costaricana hybrids mate. I WISH I kept MORE. Can simply do it again. 👌

Pluck out the crap as you'll get LOADS of Fertile seeds. 

• Like 1