miamicuse

Foxtail Wodyetia bifurcata leave turning dark brown

miamicuse

I planted two foxtail palms (Wodyetia bifurcata) six weeks  ago into the ground.  They are both planted just west of a north-southerly wood fence.

One is doing fine the other's leaves are turning a brown color.  They are both planted in the same soil, somewhat sandy.  They receive the same amount of water, I watered every day for the first 30 days. then I watered every 2-3 days after that.

The first picture is the one further north, and receive more sun then the second one.

IMG-20211111-151842.jpg

The second one is the one with leaves turning brown.

IMG-20211111-151853.jpg

Any idea what's going on?  It seems to happen after we had a several days of heavy rain.  May be too much water?

Edited by miamicuse

Steve Mac

I don't know why one is doing better than the other. It's hard to imagine too much water in sandy soil, and only affecting one of them.

That is not a dying pattern that I would associate with too much water. That little one was ready to go anyway. With the newest leaves looking good I would not worry.

But I would have planted them both about 6" deeper. Probably not the problem but they are a bit higher than most people would put them I think.

• Like 2

miamicuse

Thank you, should I replant them deeper?  I put it at this height because they were planted that same depth in their pots.

aztropic

Pop them out and plant a little deeper so that roots are completely covered.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
4 hours ago, aztropic said:

Pop them out and plant a little deeper so that roots are completely covered.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

This ^

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos

You can mound soil up to the base of their trunks as an alternative to digging and replanting, which may cause additional stress. 
  The lowest and oldest leaf on them or any palm will eventually turn brown and die. That’s the normal process, otherwise you’d have a palm with no visible trunk. 

• Upvote 1

Merlyn

Given the height of the dirt and the bottom of the fence, probably digging them up and replanting deeper is your only option.  If it's been 6 weeks they are probably still "root bound" and haven't really started putting out big roots into the dirt.  So you can probably dig up a 3g pot-shaped clump and just plant it a few inches deeper.  The best description of proper planting depth I've found is here:  http://www.marriedtoplants.com/palms/palm-tree-growing-tips-mounding/

And here is a quick sketch on one of your palms, the red line is the approximate location of the Root Initiation Zone.  It should be basically at ground level.

IMG-20211111-151842.thumb.jpg.5b970dcbce4b9c1ba744b2c0aa472b7b.jpg