IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palm Trunk Damage

Mikedbom

Contractor is telling me this tree should come down. Is there anything I can do to save it? I know it won’t ever recover but to keep the rot from getting worse and not have to worry about it falling as it gets taller.  I’ve read about the various diseases and not quite sure any one of them fit. Thank you. 

DFE52DFA-435E-4679-B153-BA63CB5E4813.jpeg

E32FB54E-85D1-40B3-8E9B-F4B83AA7379B.jpeg

Hello there, it could have been from rot, or maybe termites. I hate to say it, but this palm is in decline and there really isn't anything you can do to nurse it back to health. If you do take it down, and your in a hot climate, I would replace it with a mule palm if you really want a similar look. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Don't wait too long because its going to come down on its own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Okay, I appreciate the feedback. Tree is about 15-20’ tall and matches two others so I was hesitant to remove. I was told I could apply a tar or sealer to prevent further erosion or pests to get in the base. The palm is still growing well. Slightly yellowed fronds but only noticed them as we just trimmed back pretty hard. 

Crikey mate,

How much more advice do you need?

I think that it is ok to leave,

14 hours ago, Mikedbom said:

"not have to worry about it falling"

as long as you are insured and have a 20' clear fall space all around it. 

But seriously, yes you can tar and paint against erosion and pests, but not effectively against fungus (rot).

The worry and risk of the palm falling will only increase with age.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

28 minutes ago, Steve Mac said:

Crikey mate,

How much more advice do you need?

Just covering the bases pal. Would be nice to hear more than two comments and I had more questions. Thx. 

4 hours ago, Mikedbom said:

Just covering the bases pal. Would be nice to hear more than two comments and I had more questions. Thx. 

While it is impossible to completely diagnose from an online picture, most people here have seen this before multiple times. The end is always the same. Your contractor is correct. The palm should be removed before it falls to prevent damage to adjacent plants, structures or people. Sometimes palms will look fine one day and be on the ground the next. I had a Veitchia Joannis rot out like that and I never knew until the morning when I found it on the ground. Luckily it had fallen into the grass and not on the other plants as it would have crushed some nice things. And your queen weighs a lot more than a Veitchia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This picture is two years old. This one is still growing fine. We had a windstorm last week with sustained winds in the 30mph range with crazy gusts. It's still trucking along. 

IPPVmNgCKTP8ExdttG3N1jktQmvonTJg-ZdalkTFXk1WV6MEVxatvtBxG1QzBZRRFKPEadrVgl7DFSgNMMGkZcRGr3OzERbgxt8NxAa04mc4Zkr3Fl2weAVzedWBXFfUlPjaoErD-rUiFh1nK23QzMRw0QliCiNi0Ogw8ZzJ01bytJvLxqTYBwEuph3XLCfLVJKlHwpq3wxGfzSbS6Is8RfXtyvgqCijBkinhf0Ee7NG3F52dsVURIs49d-SW18gzh6A0Oo_GCtbO0UnPMY_AdAlFdOnaSYgBR2o7S3zw-_8CjFXy-1u1fmJGRKIaykAUWoWfOmjVRsTpHWBDdHXaGZJIvNa2xjtvIq4MgKLkjmhzDPptUIsFhetrLTmrg07INZZdPtb410T4EIvb70_qUrnSpEs2mOKwAI7mLgxHa0Vi1_YYSCXEW-AZyI2c4a9whH7MZCBLhXsuh9MG9sRYfU21rB-P3zQlK9M-B4t5YrSGrqzni910Lo_Xh4cO15lYNgb94UutpwTRIvtuRr4KKd--REFQ0EV6kypQz3sWPXL_kszqc4YGx6aj0lWrG7HVUFLrnCkSmQlq3eEqWPn8KCs8jzuBvsWK2kr6aR36TIUGui6JecEELcYjr5lJgxTjJXp5_nDmSp5dWS5IYCoDXnoBQgoDvKpAOdZXUg9AdSfI2A0Uae3DbBQprm7A3PVRDT1HY9nPSb61fTopqN9LguQ=w793-h1057-no?authuser=0

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

On 11/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, buffy said:

This picture is two years old. This one is still growing fine. We had a windstorm last week with sustained winds in the 30mph range with crazy gusts. It's still trucking along. 

152C8FA8-D8B0-4FE2-B5F3-0285C0012221.jpeg.9033e41da4c482ce0b4b6b59a63ca495.jpeg

• Like 1

If it could fall on a roof, car, person, probably need to take it down. Good news is Queens grow like a rocket.

Edited by D Palm