IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus Elastica - Any outdoors in Bay Area, CA?

BayAndroid

Does anyone have or know of Rubber Trees growing outdoors in the Bay Area? I've actually seen one at the toll plaza of the San Mateo Bridge and I saw one in the front yard of a residence in Redwood City. But they look like cases of indoor plants that were just put outside and ended up doing well. I'm hoping to see an "enthusiast's tree" =) 

Maybe there aren't any and I'll have to be the first to give it a go. Let's see! 

I had one in my front yard that got HUGE and thus needed to be taken down as it was choking out everything in that area. There was one in Sunnyvale on El Camino Real that was about 40 years old or more and the size of a large live oak. 

I may plant one again in another area of my yard. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

21 minutes ago, BayAndroid said:

Does anyone have or know of Rubber Trees growing outdoors in the Bay Area? I've actually seen one at the toll plaza of the San Mateo Bridge and I saw one in the front yard of a residence in Redwood City. But they look like cases of indoor plants that were just put outside and ended up doing well. I'm hoping to see an "enthusiast's tree" =) 

Maybe there aren't any and I'll have to be the first to give it a go. Let's see! 

Have heard of a few older specimens  around San Jose, -and likely passed a few smaller ones planted in yards in some of the neighborhoods i grew up in there-  Been awhile so couldn't tell you if they're still around. though. Always found it odd that there are at least a couple impressive specimens here in the Desert, of all places. 

9 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I had one in my front yard that got HUGE and thus needed to be taken down as it was choking out everything in that area. There was one in Sunnyvale on El Camino Real that was about 40 years old or more and the size of a large live oak. 

I may plant one again in another area of my yard. 

That's awesome, did you take any pictures of it before you took it out? 

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Have heard of a few older specimens  around San Jose, -and likely passed a few smaller ones planted in yards in some of the neighborhoods i grew up in there-  Been awhile so couldn't tell you if they're still around. though. Always found it odd that there are at least a couple impressive specimens here in the Desert, of all places. 

They're described as being tender tropical foliage online, but it seems like they're actually pretty resilient. 

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

That's awesome, did you take any pictures of it before you took it out? 

They're described as being tender tropical foliage online, but it seems like they're actually pretty resilient. 

Agree, good %' age of Ficus are tougher than many sources give them credit for..  Have a neighbor around the corner from me w/ a couple small Ficus benjamina in their yard. House w/ a couple nice religiosa in planters nearby also. F. nitida are planted everywhere here ..many huge ones around the valley. 

Only seen one benjamina, grown in a large pot  ..somewhat protected from the elements back in San Jo.

Two rare sp. i'm hoping to get my hands on are our regionally native F. cotinifolia, and F. trigonata from a coupe hundred miles south in S. Sonora. Heat tolerance should be pretty good w/ either.. Would be shocked if cold tolerance isn't at least decent ( established specimens able to tolerate occasional, brief dips into 9b temp. range ).

• Like 1

There are a lot of Ficus elastica in San Francisco. They don't need heat to thrive, and of course they hardly get any frost here. Some are surprisingly large (25' x 30') and old.
There are also some Ficus macrophylla around SF,  but they get giant, certainly by the standards of SF trees. Much bigger than F. elastica.

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

4 hours ago, JasonD said:

There are a lot of Ficus elastica in San Francisco. They don't need heat to thrive, and of course they hardly get any frost here. Some are surprisingly large (25' x 30') and old.
There are also some Ficus macrophylla around SF,  but they get giant, certainly by the standards of SF trees. Much bigger than F. elastica.

I'll have to go check some out, thanks!