IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. Renda discolored and spots

pantryraccoon

Hi,  this lipstick palm has done well in this pot for the better part of a year, however has recently started getting these small brown spots on the leaves, and browning on edges of leaves, and yellowish color. It gets regular organic 2-1-3 liquid fertilizer designed for palms, and temps have cooled off some to 50's at night,  but this started before the temps fell. Is it not getting enough moisture in the air? The soil stays moist to wet. Any advice or ideas?  Thanks!

20211103_211452.jpg

That pot does not look like it drains well, does it have drainage holes? This species loves lots of water but having soggy soil indoors will cause problems. I recommend to repot, make sure to put it in a pot with drainage holes and fast draining soil and put a saucer of water under the pot. 

Also, I gotta add that using premade store bought soil is a horrible idea in my experiences. I have had great success with a soil blend of bagged coco coir, pumice, clay balls, very coarse sand, and and a bit of perlite and orchid bark. 

Lipsticks are uber tropical, need summer temps, high light and very high humidity year round. Your winter-dark, dry, chilly house is a huge impediment to survival.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Lipsticks are uber tropical, need summer temps, high light and very high humidity year round. Your winter-dark, dry, chilly house is a huge impediment to survival.

100% agree. As someone who is forced to grow palms indoors, it’s great to try rare species. Using some form of supplemental heat, a grow light, and a humidifier will help its chance of survival indoors. 

First, many thanks to each of you, no, the pot doesn't drain too well, it does allow some flow through but I no drainage holes, and used moisture control (miracle grow) soil in it to try and retain moisture, and water it very frequently,  every other or third day, so the soil is constantly wet to soggy, and also set it in a tray sometimes beneath it for short periods.  I get what you're saying about the soil,  its not a high quality mix just run of the mill stuff and too soggy.  I will repot it as recommended and then put in a saucer instead.  Would you say something like Pro Mix bx would work, or a cactus mix? If not I'll make homemade per your formula.

This will be its first time indoors, kept in a south-facing window for max light, and moved into the bathroom during showers for a hit of humidity and warmth. The extra heat source is a great idea, as well the humidifier, which I hadn't considered til now.  Thank you again rickybobby, Justin and Meg.  Very much appreciated all your replies!

I have tried the cactus mix and the pro mix in the past. It would be something I would use on a hardier palm like a Washingtonia but I would still put additives in the soil. Cyrtostachys is a very temperamental plant so I would give it the best quality stuff. My issue with the miracle-grow and the other one is the peat moss, it just seems to retain too much moisture if most of the soil is made up of it. Hope your palm does well after the repot! 

One more thing, with the mix I recommend, it dries relatively fast, this is where a saucer of water and watering every few days will fix that. Just don’t let the palm dry up. Lipstick palms hate a lack of water. 

• Upvote 1

First, many thanks to each of you, no, the pot doesn't drain too well, it does allow some flow through but I no drainage holes, and used moisture control (miracle grow) soil in it to try and retain moisture, and water it very frequently,  every other or third day, so the soil is constantly wet to soggy, and also set it in a tray sometimes beneath it for short periods.  I get what you're saying about the soil,  its not a high quality mix just run of the mill stuff and too soggy.  I will repot it as recommended and then put in a saucer instead.  Would you say something like Pro Mix bx would work, or a cactus mix? If not I'll make homemade per your formula.

This will be its first time indoors, kept in a south-facing window for max light, and moved into the bathroom during showers for a hit of humidity and warmth. The extra heat source is a great idea, as well the humidifier, which I hadn't considered til now.  Thank you again rickybobby, Justin and Meg.  Very much appreciated all your replies!

Thank you for the advice.  Just found a bag of hibiscus potting mix , which is coco coir, worm castings, coarse sand, and perlite, designed for quick drainage. It seems close to your special blend so gonna try it, with a saucer as needed to keep constantly moist as possible. 

I'll update a pic later. Thank you again! I really appreciate your advice!