IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal yapa getting really pretty

Josue Diaz

This is one of 3 sabal yapa, and my biggest. Lately it's been putting on some really nice leaves on long petioles. It's getting to about 5 feet tall now. 

20211102_174624.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Very pretty. I've looked for S. yapa over the years, never found one. Now I don't have room. In 2014 I took a jungle hike on Cozumel and S. yapa were native. I tried carefully digging up strap leaf seedlings to take home but all died.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Very pretty. I've looked for S. yapa over the years, never found one. Now I don't have room. In 2014 I took a jungle hike on Cozumel and S. yapa were native. I tried carefully digging up strap leaf seedlings to take home but all died.

That's funny-I went and saw them everywhere too. However, I got seed. Think I have a few 3 gallons...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 6:12 AM, Josue Diaz said:

This is one of 3 sabal yapa, and my biggest. Lately it's been putting on some really nice leaves on long petioles. It's getting to about 5 feet tall now. 

20211102_174624.jpg

Beautiful spot. I take it it is in El Salvador? Cos if it is in California I'll be inspired to death! :D

Edited by ego
  • Like 1

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

Beautiful spot. I take it it is in El Salvador? Cos if it is in California I'll be inspired to death! :D

It's Fresno! Central/Northern California. Certainly a graceful palm, I love it. I have 3. 

17 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

It's Fresno! Central/Northern California. Certainly a graceful palm, I love it. I have 3. 

Wow. The whole garden looks so tropical I was sure it could not be in California. Is this your garden? 

Is the tall plant on the right side a heliconia? And what is the ground cover plant on the bottom left corner?

Sorry for all the questions but I am thrilled to see such a lush garden in California.

Edited by ego

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

Wow. The whole garden looks so tropical I was sure it could not be in California. Is this your garden? 

Is the tall plant on the right side a heliconia? And what is the ground cover plant on the bottom left corner?

Sorry for all the questions but I am thrilled to see such a lush garden in California.

Haha yes! This is definitely lush by Fresno standards. My yard has two very old trees that require water. They had a lot of dead and dying branches when I moved in from having gone with no water for a summer. The magnolias need the water to stay alive and healthy, so I've underplanted them with water + shade loving plants. Plants on the periphery where there is more sun, are more drought tolerant. This shot shows a Ceiba speciosa and several drought+sun loving plants native to CA (arctostaphylos, encelia farinosa, juncus patens) & Agave sisalana. 

The picture above that you asked about shows heliconia scheidiana to the right, and gardenia on the bottom left. 

20210802_182612.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

You've created a stunning garden. People would buy tickets to come and see it. Well, I would! :D

I wasn't aware of that hardy heliconia and I am super excited to know that there is one that can survive in zone 9! I will definitely try to get one. I guess it wants full sun like all heliconias. How tall does it become?

Does gardenia withstand your winters? I think you're in zone 9b, right?

previously known as ego

2 hours ago, ego said:

You've created a stunning garden. People would buy tickets to come and see it. Well, I would! :D

I wasn't aware of that hardy heliconia and I am super excited to know that there is one that can survive in zone 9! I will definitely try to get one. I guess it wants full sun like all heliconias. How tall does it become?

Does gardenia withstand your winters? I think you're in zone 9b, right?

Haha I'm glad someone would want to see my big mess. Thank you. 

It's not exactly hardy in the sense that it would withstand frost or anything. I  don't get much frost, and these are under canopy, so they don't get frost on them at all. But they do appear to thrive.  Mine are mixed, some in shade, some in more sun. The ones in more shade grow taller - easily 7/8 feet tall or more. 

And about the gardenias - absolutely. They withstand frost and sun. They are used commonly as hedges in commercial shopping centers and office buildings. They are never a concern here as far as cold goes. 

5 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Haha I'm glad someone would want to see my big mess. Thank you. 

It's not exactly hardy in the sense that it would withstand frost or anything. I  don't get much frost, and these are under canopy, so they don't get frost on them at all. But they do appear to thrive.  Mine are mixed, some in shade, some in more sun. The ones in more shade grow taller - easily 7/8 feet tall or more. 

And about the gardenias - absolutely. They withstand frost and sun. They are used commonly as hedges in commercial shopping centers and office buildings. They are never a concern here as far as cold goes. 

Interesting. I wonder how similar our climates are. What are temleratures and humidity there like?

previously known as ego

18 hours ago, ego said:

Interesting. I wonder how similar our climates are. What are temleratures and humidity there like?

I looked up the average temps for Attica and compared them to Fresno. It seems Fresno is about 5 degrees F colder than Attica in Dec & January, but significantly warmer all other months of the year. 

You're climate is more humid than Fresno's all year. Athens also appears to receive more rainfall. Our annual rainfall total ranges between 4 and 11 inches. 

average-relative-humidity-greece-athens.png.d392efc5d6e0e43231da4c1d652b3d87.png

6 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I looked up the average temps for Attica and compared them to Fresno. It seems Fresno is about 5 degrees F colder than Attica in Dec & January, but significantly warmer all other months of the year. 

You're climate is more humid than Fresno's all year. Athens also appears to receive more rainfall. Our annual rainfall total ranges between 4 and 11 inches. 

average-relative-humidity-greece-athens.png.d392efc5d6e0e43231da4c1d652b3d87.png

Quite similar overall. You must spend a lot on water bills! Does your heliconia die back in winter?

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

Quite similar overall. You must spend a lot on water bills! Does your heliconia die back in winter?

No, it is evergreen. Or has been the last 3 years

Wow. I'll definitely try it in my garden if I can find some for sale. Seeds are not easy to germinate I've heard. Does it produce many pups?

Edited by ego

previously known as ego