IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Millipedes

Palmlover_78

Hey Guys every year I bring my Palms in and the pots have lots of millipedes in it. I know Millipedes are beneficial soil bugs , but are they a threat to Palm roots? Should I leave them in?

As long they're not the kind that are poisonous to touch or when they bite; you should be OK. Don't quote me on this one though, but I think AZ might have one type that might fit the poisonous category, but I could even be wrong on this one even; but overall they are good for the soil. Just make sure your palms aren't over runned by them where you'll find them where you don't want them to be indoors. I've had plants indoors where I've found worms in my plants by accident, but they always stayed with the plants; and never strayed away from them. Worm castings which they worms produce are very good for the soil and enriches the soil quality as well too. If possible,  use organic plant food and bug/insect spray and/or powders as not to hurt the soil with both living microbes/beneficial predatory insects; and worms too. I hope this somewhat helps, and God bless you, happy growing. 

• Like 1

Won't hurt a thing ..they prefer decaying matter, not live material..  Would control only if there are wayy too many, and by hand ( with Reptile feeding Tongs )

• Like 1

23 hours ago, greenthumb7 said:

As long they're not the kind that are poisonous to touch or when they bite; you should be OK. Don't quote me on this one though, but I think AZ might have one type that might fit the poisonous category, but I could even be wrong on this one even; but overall they are good for the soil. Just make sure your palms aren't over runned by them where you'll find them where you don't want them to be indoors. I've had plants indoors where I've found worms in my plants by accident, but they always stayed with the plants; and never strayed away from them. Worm castings which they worms produce are very good for the soil and enriches the soil quality as well too. If possible,  use organic plant food and bug/insect spray and/or powders as not to hurt the soil with both living microbes/beneficial predatory insects; and worms too. I hope this somewhat helps, and God bless you, happy growing. 

You might be thinking of our monster Centipede, Scolopendra heros.  Those you definitely want to avoid, lol  ..Are massive in size regardless. 

All millipedes can exude a smelly chemical that says " might not want to eat me " when handled, but have never been bitten by  or sickened by any i've handled. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Won't hurt a thing ..they prefer decaying matter, not live material..  Would control only if there are wayy too many, and by hand ( with Reptile feeding Tongs )

Agree with this. Millipedes are harmless to people.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

You might be thinking of our monster Centipede, Scolopendra heros.  Those you definitely want to avoid, lol  ..Are massive in size regardless. 

All millipedes can exude a smelly chemical that says " might not want to eat me " when handled, but have never been bitten by  or sickened by any i've handled. 

I figured we had one that was feared (mostly feared ha ha lol) our monster centipede though, I may be keeping away, or not even bother looking for it at all. But I do find them very fascinating and even kinda amusing watching all of those legs moving together as though they belonged to a bunch of foot soldiers lol. Happy veterans day to you if you're a vet.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, greenthumb7 said:

I figured we had one that was feared (mostly feared ha ha lol) our monster centipede though, I may be keeping away, or not even bother looking for it at all. But I do find them very fascinating and even kinda amusing watching all of those legs moving together as though they belonged to a bunch of foot soldiers lol. Happy veterans day to you if you're a vet.

:greenthumb:   Not a vet myself, but many in the family / extended family / friends..

As for our Centi / Milipedes,  you'll know when/ if a Desert Giant ( there's another species of Scolopendra native here too ) shows up in your yard ..they can reach 8" in length ( other sp. is a bit shorter ) so not hard to see then scurrying around. The way i look at it, like Scorpions, ~Bark Scorps. esp.~  as long as they stay out of the yard, i'm fine w/ them.. Think they're more commonly encountered in/ around Tucson vs. up this way ( Been told they prefer un-developed, open desert over highly developed areas ).

If one wanders into the yard, can use something like long handled BBQ Tongs to capture and put into a bucket and transfer back out into the desert. I myself try not to kill critters if i can avoid doing so ( except Black / Brown Widows that try to build their homes next to the house / under the rims of pots )

Native Millipede only comes out during Monsoon season ..if it is wet like this past summer. They just curl up in a ball, and stink if hassled.