IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strip update

redant

I updated the video of my strip of land across from me that I have take over with my  guerilla gardening. Everything other then the pines, palmetto and sable (and a few terrible invasive trees) was grown from seeds or cutting from my garden. The soil is awful, no irrigation and I don't fertilize anything. I have to choose wisely things that will survive here.  Walking the dogs so the video is a bit bumps, sorry. I also maintain all this myself as well. Strip 2 - YouTube

• Like 15

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

That’s almost unbelievable that you did that yourself. It looks amazing. Who owns that piece? Will someone be able to one day come and cut it all down?

• Like 1

You have planted a lot of great stuff there! Do you take care of it all by yourself or do some of your neighbors help out too?

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That hell strip puts most of our gardens to shame haha Back to the cold hardy section for me 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

On 11/2/2021 at 2:03 PM, Johnny Palmseed said:

That’s almost unbelievable that you did that yourself. It looks amazing. Who owns that piece? Will someone be able to one day come and cut it all down?

Who owns it is a bit of a mystery. It's owned by my HOA, which does not exist. In theory yes, it could be cut down. It was all garbage and exotic vegetation before I took it over. 

Jupiter FL

On 11/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, ruskinPalms said:

You have planted a lot of great stuff there! Do you take care of it all by yourself or do some of your neighbors help out too?

Most people are just so damn lazy. I do it all, even pick up the trash. People always tell me how wonderful it is as they walk right by some garbage. 

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, redant said:

Most people are just so damn lazy. I do it all, even pick up the trash. People always tell me how wonderful it is as they walk right by some garbage. 

^^^ Same here! AND the amount of trash is crazy! They say hi and some even say "Thank-you" while watching me pick up the trash in front of their house! On their front lawn! Top pic is a typical weeks worth of garbage pick up. I call code enforcement to have the city pick up the stuff I can't move, which occurs regularly. People abandon cars several times a year. Others leave furniture and other items when moving out of a nearby apartment complex because if they leave it at the complex the cost to remove will come out of their security deposit. Typically it's tables, beds, couches etc. but a couple weeks ago there was a baby grand piano!

20210726_155608.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20211007_153803.jpg?width=1920&height=10

• Like 6

Doug, you are more than a guerrilla, you are a one man army.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

14 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

Doug, you are more than a guerrilla, you are a one man army.

my garden is about 2.5 acres not including this area, yea it keeps me fit lol

Jupiter FL

On 11/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, NOT A TA said:

^^^ Same here! AND the amount of trash is crazy! They say hi and some even say "Thank-you" while watching me pick up the trash in front of their house! On their front lawn! Top pic is a typical weeks worth of garbage pick up. I call code enforcement to have the city pick up the stuff I can't move, which occurs regularly. People abandon cars several times a year. Others leave furniture and other items when moving out of a nearby apartment complex because if they leave it at the complex the cost to remove will come out of their security deposit. Typically it's tables, beds, couches etc. but a couple weeks ago there was a baby grand piano!

20210726_155608.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20211007_153803.jpg?width=1920&height=10

Unbelievable!   True story, there is another neglected area where I mow and pick up trash. There where several soda bottles tossed there while I was mowing, the guy directly across from this neglected strip has his recycle bins still out, they had already been picked up that day. I put the bottles in his bins, this is right across from him. Later that day the bins are gone, and the bottles are tossed across the street again, right in front of his house. This is not a slummy area, his house is worth about 2 million. WTF is wrong with people.

Jupiter FL

29 minutes ago, redant said:

This is not a slummy area, his house is worth about 2 million. WTF is wrong with people.

Ya, I don't get it. Like the people who put their bulk pick up pile in the hell strip across the street from their house with a perfectly manicured lawn so the pick up claw won't mark up their lawn. Then they don't even clean up the scraps of broken furniture or whatever after bulk pick up comes by.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redant said:

Unbelievable!   True story, there is another neglected area where I mow and pick up trash. There where several soda bottles tossed there while I was mowing, the guy directly across from this neglected strip has his recycle bins still out, they had already been picked up that day. I put the bottles in his bins, this is right across from him. Later that day the bins are gone, and the bottles are tossed across the street again, right in front of his house. This is not a slummy area, his house is worth about 2 million. WTF is wrong with people.

Sounds about right.  You see the same sort of stuff around here.   Being in an expensive neighborhood, you often run into some very angry, narcissistic, and selfish people.  Some of the NYC and NJ transplants, see the world in general, as their personal trash can.  It’s pretty disheartening.  

• Like 2