IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing brahea armata in arizona desert

Coasta

Hello all! 

Looking on details about growing brahea armata in arizona, Phoenix area. 

Can they really take full sun here? 

How many leaves do they only put out a few leaves a year like ravenea xerophyla or are they faster? 

What are some characteristics to look for in a 10 gallon plant to get the best color.

If they are blue/silver as they get bigger do new leaves not have as much of the wax to keep the color? 

Thanks so much for the info!

They grow great have great color. I don’t know if any of them vary much in color all I have grown from seed have the same color, if one is in a pot and has been grown in full sun that is probably the color it will be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 96720 said:

They grow great have great color. I don’t know if any of them vary much in color all I have grown from seed have the same color, if one is in a pot and has been grown in full sun that is probably the color it will be.

^^ Agree X 2 Easy and handle the heat/ full sun here just fine. Have also never seen a really green one, just your typical Silvery Blue. Not as fast as say a Bismarckia, but there are definitely slower palms out there. Little more water in summer will likely speed them up a bit more. Can see the difference in Boyce Thompson's specimens that are planted in a moister section of the garden, compared to those in another section where it appears most of the moisture they get is what falls from the sky..

• Like 2

@96720 thank you!! there is a trunked one in my neighborhood and it looks more on the green side. Maybe it was just not a great speciman. 

@Silas_Sancona thanks Silas. One thing I noticed is there are some with stiffer leaves. I was under the impression there was a lot of variability in fronds like chamerops humilis. 

11 minutes ago, Coasta said:

@96720 thank you!! there is a trunked one in my neighborhood and it looks more on the green side. Maybe it was just not a great speciman. 

@Silas_Sancona thanks Silas. One thing I noticed is there are some with stiffer leaves. I was under the impression there was a lot of variability in fronds like chamerops humilis. 

Some specimens might have slightly weeping leaflets, but all the ones i've seen here ..and back in California look pretty uniform otherwise. That said, a specimen grown in more shade may exhibit a little more variability. Cross w/ another Brahea sp. might as well. Palmpedia lists B. clara as a possible cross between armata and brandegeei, which i'm sure would soften up those stiff looking armata leaves.

• Like 1

I had 6 of them in Gilbert arizona which I left in 2009.  Yes there is modest color variation from light blue with some light green to just light blue with almost no apparent green, all are beautiful.   Mine all started out in full sun as 15 gallon and 24" box trees.  I put in a bunch of queens that in 2 years put up some shade.  My "greenest" one was in half day shade so say more sun more blue but that one was always the most green.  Very good in hot sun, a little better than bismarckia not quite as good in the heat as phoenix dactylifera or washingtonia filifera.  They are top 5-6 palm for the heat considering the possibilities in AZ.   Ammend the soil to drain well and water them well in the heat.  armatas2009n2.thumb.jpg.e8d968e5773b91b80a144422f81bfcdd.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

that one looks good somewhere in the middle of the blue green but more towards blue.  In 5-6 years after getting it into the ground it will be about the size of mine(10' overall) which were planted in 2004 as 15 gal/24" box trees.  I found that all the local area parks didn't give them enough water to look their best or hold 30+ leaves like mine.  Water every 2-3 days heavily in the heat.  Its important to have good drainage so you can do that.  When lows hit the 50's cut it back by 1/2 once established.  These palms don't like containers, I'd plant it ASAP.  They wont grow much till in the ground.

• Like 1

Tom Blank

Thanks @sonoranfans do you think it would be safe to plant it in December or will it be too cold at night for it? I know these are cold hardy, but not sure if that relates to planting. 

7 hours ago, Coasta said:

Thanks @sonoranfans do you think it would be safe to plant it in December or will it be too cold at night for it? I know these are cold hardy, but not sure if that relates to planting. 

yes get it in the ground, less drought stress in winter there so the roots have some time to develop before the heat hits in spring..

• Like 1

Tom Blank