IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

sabal causiarum spotting

ZPalms

Yay!!! My Sabal Causiarums decided to pick up the popular spotting all my palms have picked up, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong or If their is a proper name for this problem because I just don't get it and google doesn't give me any indication of what it is or what I'm doing wrong. 

I did spray all my palms last night with copper fungicide but I still don't know if this is a fungus problem or a root problem or soil or watering problem... I'm so tired. :(

IMG-8383.thumb.jpg.156e9cd96c2c9aedd4384304add4738f.jpgIMG-8382.thumb.jpg.41e4136120f3816ae7ce3ed556f9ef95.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

• 2 months later...

It could have been some environmental stress, or excess fertilizer. 

All my seedling causiarums have it to some degree but are still pushing spears even now. I wouldn't worry too much. 

Most sabals for me start off doing silly stuff like that, but as they mature seem to stop. 

Maybe someone here more knowledgable can chime in and speculate. 

I've never seen it kill or even bother any sabal I've germinated. 

Right now I have:

Sabal Causiarum

Sabal Blackburniana

Sabal Minor (bluestem)

Sabal (Birmingham)

Sabal Minor (Emerald isle giant)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dartolution said:

It could have been some environmental stress, or excess fertilizer. 

All my seedling causiarums have it to some degree but are still pushing spears even now. I wouldn't worry too much. 

Most sabals for me start off doing silly stuff like that, but as they mature seem to stop. 

Maybe someone here more knowledgable can chime in and speculate. 

I've never seen it kill or even bother any sabal I've germinated. 

Right now I have:

Sabal Causiarum

Sabal Blackburniana

Sabal Minor (bluestem)

Sabal (Birmingham)

Sabal Minor (Emerald isle giant)

As long as it's not harming them then it's whatever to me, my washies experienced the same spotting but they went away as soon as I brought them indoors or gave them potassium but that's all I got to lean on why it went away cause I still don't know but I haven't gave the sabals anything I'm just glad to see it growing finally after months of waiting for the roots to settle finally push out growth and I can now confirm with myself with just the little growth they've had even being in a container they are much faster than my palmetto!

Appreciate the peace of mind! :blush2::greenthumb:

Have you thought about getting sabal Uresana? do you think they could survive an 8a winter? I don't know if your winters are the same as mine but your probably warmer?

10 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Have you thought about getting sabal Uresana? do you think they could survive an 8a winter? I don't know if your winters are the same as mine but your probably warmer?

I've thought about a lot of things hahaha. The issue isn't with the thinking, its with the space to accommodate those palms. 

It would be questionable here. I honestly think Uresana may be too wet and succumb. Warmth isn't the issue, its our moisture. We have mild wet humid winters usually, and a warm humid growing season. Snowfall is rare (although north Alabama seems to be getting dustings and some accumulation this winter from the fronts while most places south of i20 remain snow free - myself included.) We don't have ground freezes to speak of, or prolonged temps below freezing. I just think its a moisture issue here. I don't know of anyone in the deep south growing Uresana but would be interested to see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

I've thought about a lot of things hahaha. The issue isn't with the thinking, its with the space to accommodate those palms. 

It would be questionable here. I honestly think Uresana may be too wet and succumb. Warmth isn't the issue, its our moisture. We have mild wet humid winters usually, and a warm humid growing season. Snowfall is rare (although north Alabama seems to be getting dustings and some accumulation this winter from the fronts while most places south of i20 remain snow free - myself included.) We don't have ground freezes to speak of, or prolonged temps below freezing. I just think its a moisture issue here. I don't know of anyone in the deep south growing Uresana but would be interested to see. 

Oh so it's comparable to a filifera? would it have trouble like maybe filifera? I looked around on palm talk and I saw some users planted some in florida but I don't know how well they are doing, I may give it a try myself cause theirs no harm in trying! I suppose even if it did grow I feel like our climate would just melt that blue color off :violin:

10 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I suppose even if it did grow I feel like our climate would just melt that blue color off :violin:

Zero problems with my small uresana here in 8a in SE NC.  It doesn't seem to mind the wet or the cold. 

Also still very blue despite the rain.

It's not super fast, but chugs along at 2 to 3 fonds a year.

• Like 1