IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dune

Darold Petty

We attended a screening last night, first time in a movie theater in two years, Imax as well.  It was OK, more faithful to the book than the first movie attempt.  As usual with blockbuster films there is too much sword fighting and explosions, rather than plot development.  Arrakis even has some token palm trees.  They have the profile of adult Phoenix canariensis, but the trunk close-up resembles Sabal. 

I must caution you that the palms come to a bad ending !    :D

• Like 4

San Francisco, California

“Ok?”  How dare you.   I loved it.   But I do like the director’s style.  No corny jokes,  slap-stick or catch phrases.   Dark and brooding.   Great world building.  I hope they make it a franchise and work through the books.   

Palm meme from Dune…..

….”I hope those new palms you planted in full sun are doing well.”

……(How those palms are actually doing.)4B4842FD-729E-40F7-AC72-FD7F2950AD2D.thumb.jpeg.5ac795d53e7a3862931f3cdefb69084d.jpeg

Sorry about the “Palmtalk spoiler”.    The movie is basically space-game of thrones… for palms.  

• Like 2

Great movie! I strongly recommend viewing it in a specialty theater with a larger than average screen and added audio. I saw it in a Dolby Experience theater at an AMC and it was incredible. Everything shook and it had you glued to your chair like it was a ride. Being a fan of the original movie and book, I saw a lot of influence from the novel. It would be interesting to see if Denis Villeneuve will take it beyond the first book after the next part(s).

The part of the 'Sacred Palm Trees' was a great surprise and it made me both laugh and cheer at the same time. The others in my group thought I was crazy, I had to explain it later. I didn't know if I would have divulged it on the Forum, leaving it as a surprise for others, but here is the topic. Some part of me was going to had to have said something on here at some point, fighting the urge. Even with the fire, I haven't given up on them yet.

Ryan

South Florida

You’ve gotta love Palm Talk.   Only here, does a 5 second background palm appearance in a 2.5hr movie steal the show.   The guys on the International Sand Aficionados Forum probably fell out of their seats though.   

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1