teddytn

Plant room

teddytn

This is the inside of my new plant/ chill room from my converted garage door some of you may remember, still a work in progress. Some how no plants came out of my bedroom, and this room is already full lol. Oh well, time to start building a greenhouse! 52FD0795-4429-4C2D-943C-3A827DD2AEDA.thumb.jpeg.a407815c42198e3973b58c9278c8c7be.jpegABC09D3E-108C-440D-BB67-5C1F0D80DD09.thumb.jpeg.bb274278c2ad2e1be7da153799fb050f.jpeg

• Like 6

PlantDad
9 hours ago, teddytn said:

This is the inside of my new plant/ chill room from my converted garage door some of you may remember, still a work in progress. Some how no plants came out of my bedroom, and this room is already full lol. Oh well, time to start building a greenhouse! 52FD0795-4429-4C2D-943C-3A827DD2AEDA.thumb.jpeg.a407815c42198e3973b58c9278c8c7be.jpegABC09D3E-108C-440D-BB67-5C1F0D80DD09.thumb.jpeg.bb274278c2ad2e1be7da153799fb050f.jpeg

Very nice collection!

• Like 1

teddytn
5 hours ago, PlantDad said:

Very nice collection!

Thank you sir. With a few exceptions all of this will get planted this coming spring or up potted and then planted out 2 springs from now. 

• Like 1

teddytn

Quick rundown of the palms for anyone interested. A lot are still seedlings so they can get lost in the group pictures.

24 Sabal palmetto

6 Sabal Birmingham 

2 sabal minor Emerald Isle 

2 Sabal Brazoria 

1 sabal minor 

1 Pygmy date palm

3 Chamaerops humilis

6 Trachycarpus fortunei

1 Sabal mexicana 

1 Sabal etonia

• Like 4

PalmatierMeg

Great start on spring landscaping

• Like 2

PlantDad
On 10/27/2021 at 6:26 AM, teddytn said:

Thank you sir. With a few exceptions all of this will get planted this coming spring or up potted and then planted out 2 springs from now. 

I bet your yard will look great! Did you grow the Phoenix roebelenii from seed?

Edited by PlantDad
  • Like 2

amh

A green house will be a great winter project.

The collection is looking great now and will be even better once they are in the ground.

• Like 1

teddytn
2 hours ago, PlantDad said:

I bet your yard will look great! Did you grow the Phoenix roebelenii from seed?

The Phoenix roebelenii no, that was an impulse buy at Lowe’s. Here the most exotic outdoor plants they’ll stock is a few yuccas. It will stay potted, but can’t beat them for an indoor palm in my opinion.

teddytn
2 hours ago, amh said:

A green house will be a great winter project.

The collection is looking great now and will be even better once they are in the ground.

I’ve got a south facing slope from my driveway down to the backyard. Ive started terracing it with raised beds, but I’m going to stop where I’m at and start digging out basically a buried greenhouse. Hoping I can keep it warm enough in there in the winter to keep young potted cold hardy palm varieties alive and growing through the winter. That’s the goal at least

• Like 1

amh
5 hours ago, teddytn said:

I’ve got a south facing slope from my driveway down to the backyard. Ive started terracing it with raised beds, but I’m going to stop where I’m at and start digging out basically a buried greenhouse. Hoping I can keep it warm enough in there in the winter to keep young potted cold hardy palm varieties alive and growing through the winter. That’s the goal at least

best of luck, you should get some warmth from the ground. There's a guy in Nebraska that has a geothermal greenhouse that stays just warm enough for citrus and some other tropical plants.

• Like 1

PlantDad
On 10/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, teddytn said:

The Phoenix roebelenii no, that was an impulse buy at Lowe’s. Here the most exotic outdoor plants they’ll stock is a few yuccas. It will stay potted, but can’t beat them for an indoor palm in my opinion.

I really like them. I have multiple that I grew from seed. They were so easy to germinate. I just wish they would grow faster lol. 

• Like 1

teddytn
21 hours ago, amh said:

best of luck, you should get some warmth from the ground. There's a guy in Nebraska that has a geothermal greenhouse that stays just warm enough for citrus and some other tropical plants.

That’s super cool! Height would mess us up for palm trees long term. Imagine if that guy grew cactus and agaves 

amh
4 hours ago, teddytn said:

That’s super cool! Height would mess us up for palm trees long term. Imagine if that guy grew cactus and agaves

You would probably have a 15' to 20' height limit. There may be humidity issues for succulents, but I dont think that would be too much of a hurdle. I'd love to have one of these, but I dont know how I would keep rainwater out.

teddytn

Finally got may hands on a waggie1A417761-0C41-4FF9-A4DA-FEE00BC3F51D.thumb.jpeg.d3d7288682c52c1b15d951368d4ed745.jpeg