IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frost-resistant palms for zone 7a

Daniil

Hello everyone! I apologize in advance, I am writing via google translate.
There was a desire to start cultivating or even popularizing palm trees in my region (Krasnodar, Russia).
A small part along the coast belongs to zone 8b - palm trees grow there, but the rest of the territory is 6b-7b, where I am.
The palm tree for our people is an alien plant, so few people try to grow them, there is even no need to talk about selection and hybrids. That is why I am writing here, since I cannot find suitable varieties in my region. But it seems to me that our climate is quite suitable for these plants.
Summers are predominantly dry, 95-105 degrees, winters average 25 degrees, but almost every year the temperature drops several times to 10 degrees. Also, once every 10-15 years, minima of -8f.
There is a lot of sun.
Based on the foregoing, I want to acquire palms that can grow without shelter in my climate, or, at least, had a large margin of safety so that there is no need to shelter every winter.
I would be grateful for the advice and even more for the offer to buy seeds. I will pay any expenses.
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Daniil

Welcome to Palm talk , let's start with what actual palms are growing there on the coast once we know that we can help find other suitable palms. 

T J 

T J 

9 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Добро пожаловать на Palm talk. Давайте начнем с того, какие пальмы растут на побережье, когда мы узнаем, что можем помочь найти другие подходящие пальмы. 

TJ 

I am afraid that this will not work, because the microclimate on the coast is significantly different from the rest of the territory, since it is closed by high mountains, which does not allow the temperature to drop below 30F, and there are a lot of palm trees growing there: jubey, Canary date, washingtonia, livistona, sabal , hamerops and others.
In our 7a, adult trachikarpus live in some parks, but they were imported from abroad as adults.

Your best bet would be most types of Sabal minor. Basically anything that trunks will eventually succumb to the cold.

T J  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

11 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Лучше всего вам подойдет большинство типов сабал минор. Практически все, что есть в стволах, со временем поддается холоду.

TJ  

Ordered sabal minor mccurtain Co seeds from oklahoma for ebay, we will try)
I hope the climate of this region is close to mine.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyt said:

@Daniil   Возможно, посмотрите на этот британский веб-сайт, на котором пальмы перечислены по выносливости, и посмотрите, дает ли он вам представление о том, какие пальмы могут быть подходящими для вашего района.      http://www.trebrown.com/palms_arecaceae.php

Джиммит

Good site, thanks!

4 hours ago, Daniil said:

Ordered sabal minor mccurtain Co seeds from oklahoma for ebay, we will try)
I hope the climate of this region is close to mine.

Yeah I don't think you can go wrong with any trunkless S.Minors honestly. 

T J 

6 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Да, честно говоря, я не думаю, что вы можете ошибиться с любым S.Minors без сундука. 

Yes, it is possible, but I think it is more correct to purchase a plant that has been experiencing negative temperatures for generations than one that has grown up in heat and has unclear genetics. That is why American, indigenous palm trees that have passed the test of time are more interesting. I hope the translator doesn't change the meaning of the words)

Edited by Daniil

Do you live in zone 6b or 7b? If so, you face a very limited choice of palms that may survive your climate. No pinnate/feather palms. Only palmate/fan palms. Most of those will be non-trunking, esp. in 6b.

Possible choices:

Sabal minor - the most variable of the Sabals. Can be found in size from tiny dwarfs to giants. You could plant a whole yard in just Sabal minors alone, such as McCurtain County, Alabama, Louisiana, xbrazoriensis, Cherokee, Blountstown Dwarf, Wakulla Dwarf, Chipola Dwarf, Emerald Isle Giant and more.

Rhapidophyllum hystrix - the needle palm, cold hardiest palm in the world

Nannorrhops ritchiana - Asian palm that is hardy down to -20C and resists frost. Prefers drier climates

Sabals and needle palms are able to tolerate extreme cold if they receive lots of heat during summers. Sabals want summer heat, sun and adequate water. Needles in habitat are understory palms growing in SE US forests so they prefer less sun.

If you want to try trunking palms, Trachycarpus spp and Sabal palmetto are your best bets. But be aware they likely won't survive long term in your climate so be prepared to lose them if you get a very cold spell unless you protect them. Non-trunking palms are easier to protect because they do not get so tall. By "protect" I mean you provide a manmade shelter and supplemental heat during really cold times. People here in northern climates go to a lot of trouble to protect their palms. It is a labor of love.

Welcome to PalmTalk

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 час назад PalmatierMeg сказал:

Вы живете в зоне 6б или 7б? Вы столкнулись с очень ограниченным выбором пальм, которые могут выжить в вашем климате. Нет перистых / перистых ладоней. Только пальчатые / веерные ладони. Большинство из них будут не транкинговыми, особенно. в 6б.

Возможные варианты:

Сабал минор - самый вариативный из сабалов. Можно найти размером от крошечных карликов до гигантов. Вы можете посадить целый двор в одних только несовершеннолетних Сабалах, таких как округ МакКёртейн, Алабама, Луизиана, xbrazoriensis, Cherokee, Blountstown Dwarf, Wakulla Dwarf, Chipola Dwarf, Emerald Isle Giant и другие.

Rhapidophyllum hystrix - игольчатая пальма, самая морозостойкая пальма в мире

Nannorrhops ritchiana - азиатская пальма, морозостойкая до -20С и устойчивая к морозам. Предпочитает более сухой климат

Сабали и игольчатые пальмы способны переносить сильные холода, если летом они получают много тепла. Сабалы хотят летнего тепла, солнца и достаточной воды. Хвоя в среде обитания - это подлесные пальмы, растущие в лесах на юго-востоке США, поэтому они предпочитают меньше солнца.

Если вы хотите попробовать стволовые пальмы, лучше всего подойдут Trachycarpus spp и Sabal palmetto. Если вы не защитите их, они, скорее, не защитят вас в течение длительного времени в вашем климате. Ладони без ствола легче защитить. Под «защитой» я подразумеваю, что вы обеспечите искусственное укрытие и дополнительное тепло в очень холодные времена. Люди здесь, в северном климате, прилагают много усилий, чтобы защитить свои ладони. Это любви труд.

Добро пожаловать в PalmTalk

Thank you for the valuable explanations. It is very difficult for me to say in which zone I live - on the climate map this is zone 7a, but most often our winters belong to 7b-8a, only sometimes temperatures drop to 7a, always for a short time, for 1-2 nights - then a thaw. This trend has been going on for the last 15 years, and I hope it will continue in the future. Climate change in our region is very noticeable - the average temperature has increased by 2 degrees Celsius, and if earlier there were sometimes situations similar to Texas in the winter of 2021, when a cyclone came from the north and lowered the temperature, now this does not happen. I guess you can say that I'm in a reliable zone 7a, but only for the last 15 years))

• Like 1