IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society - Holiday Meeting - Sat. 12/04/2021

kinzyjr

logo.jpg   FCPCS_LOGO.jpg

CFPACS/FCPCS Joint Holiday Meeting

Come join us at the garden of Dr. Rossi as the conversion of his already wonderful garden to St. John’s Botanical Garden progresses toward completion.

Tentative Itinerary

Date: Saturday, December 4th, 2021

Google Maps: https://tinyurl.com/5x8pmza9

Time

Description

10:00 AM

Arrival, Parking, Unloading

Tour Part I

Things to Bring:

·        Chair

·        Plant(s) for the Auction

·        Mask(s)

·        Jacket (?)

12:00 Noon

Lunch

1:00 PM

Tour Part II

3:00 PM

Plant Auction/Sales

4:00 PM

Adjourn

To see the garden during our joint meeting at this site in October 2018, visit the link below:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58209-the-garden-of-dr-john-rossi-hastings-fl/

NOTE: The information in this post is subject to change.  Please check back frequently, especially if you see there is a new post.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update to our meeting itinerary.  Lunch plans are currently in planning, but leadership has asked that folks bring sides or desserts to share.

Tentative Itinerary

Date: Saturday, December 4th, 2021

Google Maps: https://tinyurl.com/5x8pmza9

Time

Description

10:00 AM

Arrival, Parking, Unloading

Tour Part I

Things to Bring:

·        Chair

·        Plant(s) for the Auction

·        Mask(s)

·        Jacket (?)

·        Sides or Desserts to Share

12:00 Noon

Lunch

1:00 PM

Tour Part II

3:00 PM

Plant Auction/Sales

4:00 PM

Adjourn

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 3 weeks later...

202111261515_CFPACS_HolidayMeetingFinalItinerary.jpg

The lunch choices and itinerary have been finalized.  If you're interested in showing up, you are welcome to come.  This is an open meeting with no admission charge or membership requirements to attend.

Google Maps (for directions): https://tinyurl.com/5x8pmza9

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

I am planning on being there, and will bring a bunch of fist-sized Cycas Thouarsii offsets.  I sliced off over 50 of them from a local "tree" with ~9 feet of trunk!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Merlyn See you there and thank you for bringing a bunch of cycads!

All, you may need a jacket in the morning.

image.png.aa3d6d5b2c9937be8f3fe1832321d776.png

Lakeland, FL

On 12/2/2021 at 9:26 AM, Merlyn said:

I am planning on being there, and will bring a bunch of fist-sized Cycas Thouarsii offsets.  I sliced off over 50 of them from a local "tree" with ~9 feet of trunk!

Oooooooh, nice!!!

I'll be bringing some of my hybrids....Cycas revoluta x multifrondis and Cycas revoluta x diannanensis and maybe one or two other varieties.

@kinzyjr that's shorts and sweater weather! :D

• Like 2

@Scott W if you have any pure Diannanensis I'd be interested in a smaller one...and maybe a couple of the Rev x Multifrondis. 

If anyone has quart to ~1g size Kerriodoxa Elegans, Licuala Spinosa or Ramsayi bring one for me to buy!  :D

Great meeting everyone, and thanks for taking most of the Thouarsii pups!  I'm not sure who picked up the freebie agave offsets, but they are Franzosinii.  It's a variant of Americana but thinner leaves and super silver-blue.  They are fast growing in Florida up to around 6' in diameter and height.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, Scott W said:

that's shorts and sweater weather!

... not for this cold-sensitive species ;)

@Merlyn It was a pleasure to finally meet you!

I posted a short write-up and some photos in the main discussion area since this will open as a botanical garden next fall.  You can view that thread here:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/71456-st-johns-botanical-garden-hastings-fl-coming-soon/

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL