IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis droopy and Camellia sasanqua

DoomsDave

Such a pretty if unrelated pair…..

Maybe show us your odd couples!

143FF114-1B74-434E-90E8-ED1FB62B07A5.thumb.jpeg.e57ef0ebcee921f404bd5229edb97913.jpeg

C3432219-C22A-4CB8-B469-53FF4CF10986.thumb.jpeg.40c4ddc6ee065fb93e7ba4f82e3a798d.jpeg

208835DC-4D94-46F1-9215-29236F151DEE.thumb.jpeg.09f5a2a7e41b90400fb4f115d214b775.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Awww

love the praise, but how about some substance?

Heck, even kitties and doggies . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Your camellia flowers in the fall? Ours bloom in January up here. I have an old, classic double red

• Upvote 1

I use camellias pretty extensively in my 9a garden in FL. They make nice companion plants and really deepen the color palate with their shade of green. The flowers are just amazing too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

13 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Your camellia flowers in the fall? Ours bloom in January up here. I have an old, classic double red

C. sasanqua blooms earlier. The more well-known camellia, C. japonica, may be the double red that you've got.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 10/23/2021 at 10:48 PM, Josue Diaz said:

On 10/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, Manalto said:

C. sasanqua blooms earlier. The more well-known camellia, C. japonica, may be the double red that you've got.

Oh yeah japonicas rock.

But sasanquas are often fragrant, too.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, DoomsDave said:

Oh yeah japonicas rock.

But sasanquas are often fragrant, too.

At the Mobile Botanical Garden's fall plant sale this past weekend, I picked up a 'Leslie Ann' - a gorgeous variety that won the Ralph Peer Sasanqua Award in 1961 and has been a favorite of camellia enthusiasts ever since. (Not my photo; mine has some growing to do.)

LeslieAnn.jpg.6ab49623de1efb9f3e6f43f7eeb57f38.jpg

I've seen it described as a bicolor. I'm not sure if the word "picotee" applies with such soft coloration on the edges of the petals. The MBG has a stunning mature specimen.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Manalto said:

At the Mobile Botanical Garden's fall plant sale this past weekend, I picked up a 'Leslie Ann' - a gorgeous variety that won the Ralph Peer Sasanqua Award in 1961 and has been a favorite of camellia enthusiasts ever since. (Not my photo; mine has some growing to do.)

LeslieAnn.jpg.6ab49623de1efb9f3e6f43f7eeb57f38.jpg

I've seen it described as a bicolor. I'm not sure if the word "picotee" applies with such soft coloration on the edges of the petals. The MBG has a stunning mature specimen.

Obscenities duly screamed!

• Like 1

No camellias to complement the palms in my garden, but I have a few other bloomers to share, if that's fair...

For scent as well as beauty, the intoxicating fragrance of Gardenia tubifera is hard to beat. The flowers open white and age to a golden yellow. This is really tree-size and periodically has to be pruned back radically to keep the flowering within sniffing distance. Shown here with Dypsis prestoniana nearby; also close to (but out of frame) some very young Euterpe 'orange crownshaft' and D. onilahensis, weeping form, a favorite plant.

IMG_6851.thumb.JPG.a844fe553970e2cda4a023e478256a39.JPG

IMG_6856.thumb.JPG.9954b5e7b7f443e60c6076e50f7fecc2.JPG

This orchid is a reliable bloomer. While it is mounted on the trunk of Areca vestiaria 'maroon leaf' that is Marojejya darianii in the background.

IMG_7010.thumb.JPG.05f517102c12f7884ea38abb87a926ec.JPG

I have gotten hooked on Vireya of late, the tropical rhododendron. Shown below is the hybrid 'Painted Lady' with Pelagodoxa henryana in the background.

IMG_7117.thumb.jpg.b3c404a282e3cc63249312ef236e5ea0.jpg

A couple of pix from July, 2020 of the D. onilahensis group to share:

D.onilahensis2020_07_02.thumb.JPG.875523570c1b02a143ee5707c3ba5767.JPG

1684689563_IMG_3144.D.onilahensisJuly22020.thumb.JPG.f247a7c9702dae562fb2cb35cebe68aa.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

No camellias to complement the palms in my garden, but I have a few other bloomers to share, if that's fair...

For scent as well as beauty, the intoxicating fragrance of Gardenia tubifera is hard to beat. The flowers open white and age to a golden yellow. This is really tree-size and periodically has to be pruned back radically to keep the flowering within sniffing distance. Shown here with Dypsis prestoniana nearby; also close to (but out of frame) some very young Euterpe 'orange crownshaft' and D. onilahensis, weeping form, a favorite plant.

IMG_6851.thumb.JPG.a844fe553970e2cda4a023e478256a39.JPG

IMG_6856.thumb.JPG.9954b5e7b7f443e60c6076e50f7fecc2.JPG

This orchid is a reliable bloomer. While it is mounted on the trunk of Areca vestiaria 'maroon leaf' that is Marojejya darianii in the background.

IMG_7010.thumb.JPG.05f517102c12f7884ea38abb87a926ec.JPG

I have gotten hooked on Vireya of late, the tropical rhododendron. Show below is the hybrid 'Painted Lady' with Pelagodoxa henryana in the background.

IMG_7117.thumb.jpg.b3c404a282e3cc63249312ef236e5ea0.jpg

A couple of pix from July, 2020 of the D. onilahensis group to share:

D.onilahensis2020_07_02.thumb.JPG.875523570c1b02a143ee5707c3ba5767.JPG

1684689563_IMG_3144.D.onilahensisJuly22020.thumb.JPG.f247a7c9702dae562fb2cb35cebe68aa.JPG

A chorus of obscenities screamed!

• Like 1

Looks awesome! I want to get some Dypsis onilahensis weeping like those but apparently they're hard to find around here now. Such an cool looking palm!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Kim any more odd couples (or triples or quadruples) from your garden?

Nice ones Dave. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

5 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Nice ones Dave. 

Good to see you!

I’m sure you’ve got some killer odd couples too!