IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas new frond, now changing colour ? is this normal?

Hyde

Hi everyone, This is my little indoor Cycas. It had grown this very big (for its size) frond a month or so ago, now I notice the frond is slowly drooping down a bit and the colour is changing to a off green yellow or such, the little leaves start dark and as they expand they turn the same colour as the frond. Am I supposed to be worried? Is this normal? If not, what is the problem and what can I do about it?

IMG_20211020_185540.jpg

IMG_20211020_185520.jpg

It's NOT normal... Does it get any natural sunlight? Make sure it does. Cut that 1 dead frond off, and hopefully the next flush looks better.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Not normal, it's not getting enough sun inside.  They do not make good houseplants, and just prefer living outdoors.  I keep mine outside in NJ, Zone 7b from mid March till mid December, then, they go into a chilly garage for the Winter, never any probliems. 
"

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 2

Hyde, I really would not want to encourage any growth this time of year, mine flush new growth in the Spring or Summer and that's it.  Mind you, if the plant is healthy and outside and getting sun, water and adequate feeding, these guys can grow like crazy during the growth spurt, my big ones can put on 12-24 new leaves that develop over a period of only a few weeks. New growth is very vulnerable to any kind of physical damage (very fernlike), then, leaves will get rigid and sharp and indestructible. Over the winter, mine go into a frost free but chilly garage, limited light, NO feeding, rarely watered.  If you do summer/season outdoors, be sure to acclimate to the sun outside.  Actually, mine put on strong growth this past summer and they were only in partial sun (not day long).  Burning can result in bleached leaves outside (unless acclimated). Honesty, their biggest issue is their SIZE.  I have no idea what I will do with mine eventually (maybe global warming and year round life outside if current trends continue).  Good luck!

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hyde said:

Thanks guys, should I really cut the thing off or just give it some sun for a week and see where that goes?

Too late to do anything with that frond. Cut it off. Next time you notice the plant beginning to flush,(grow new fronds) get it OUTSIDE, in the sun, until the new growth has matured and hardened off. Then you can bring it back inside until the next flush.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

22 hours ago, aztropic said:

Too late to do anything with that frond. Cut it off

On 10/23/2021 at 2:15 AM, Hyde said:

should I really cut the thing off or just give it some sun for a week and see where that goes?

As pointed out, the reason my friend from Arizona is saying to cut it off is because it will do nothing and just be an unattractive soon dry dead leaf.  Cut it off for cosmetic reasons, it won't hurt the plant but also won't benefit the plant at this point.  Relative to when Cycas revoluta flush, they can flush any time of the year, but normally will do so when they are getting sufficient sun and have built up enough energy to push a new flush.  So just be patient and even if it isn't pushing a flush, when spring returns to your part of Deutschland, move it outisde into a sunny spot and genießen.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Guys! Its really amazing to see so much support for my question, encourages one to keep growing more palms. I have today Cut off that dead frond.

So next time I see such a growth I will get it enough light or at least UV Growing lights.

Quick Question: Should I repot it or is it okay in this one for the time being? I like having this one inside but ofcourse I want to grow it bigger, I heard the Cycads are happy to be root bound for a while, unlike most palms. Should I put it in a bigger pot next year, just slightly bigger so I can still keep it inside or go just big big big?

Yesterday I did take all my other palms downstairs with some artificial growing lights for the next few months of winter / snow thats coming will post a photo of that on another topic. I also have some new seeds including Bismarck seeds that I will be trying to grow.

Thanks again!

Edited by Hyde

I definitely would NOT transplant now, the whole idea is to NOT encourage growth, which will be weak and sickly looking.  Artificial lights will not help, you don't want it grow in the winter, indoors, in Germany, going into Winter.  Actually, I think it's palms that tend to prefer slightly snug pots, cycads need their space, but especially need an extremely porous soil.  I like to add a lot of orchid bark to cycad mixes.  These cycads also are not crazy about high winter heat indoors, try to keep it as cool as you can and get it outside once the danger of frost passes in the Spring.

"I want it to grow bigger."  LOL, be careful what you wish for!

I have at least four of these Cycas revolutas.  This was either last year or the year before, it's bigger now. I also grow Dioon edule, Enchepalartos, and Zamia.  The revoutas are my fastest. We have a LOT of deer here, cycads are 100% herbivore indestructible (unless you have dinosaurs!). Dioon edule is in the second photo (cream-colored pot), they are very silvery blue and relatively easy too.  Just grow a lot slower in my experience. 

A8FB19DA-EFA9-4A31-B279-EA60521B6BF4.jpeg

26B6D9C9-8E31-4F1F-8A29-E038291FAF7C.jpeg

Edited by oasis371
photo addition
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, oasis371 said:

We have a LOT of deer here, cycads are 100% herbivore indestructible (unless you have dinosaurs!).

Well maybe dinosaurs or caterpillars. Our native Coontie is the larval host of the Atala butterfly. Those little guys will do what they can to defoliate the cycad.