wilmske

Micropropagation of Coconut Palms

wilmske

Hi, 

I thought some people here might be interested in some of the research that is done on palms :), in my lab we are working with Cocos nucifera and are trying to develop different methods for ex-situ conservation such as in vitro culture, cryopreservation.  And recently we developed a protocol which allows the micropropagation on the coconut palm. This allows us to safely store these palms in in vitro genebanks but also use the material for cryopreservation or to replant coconuts on the field. On the pictures you can see the multiple shoots which are all clones.

2049614089_clonaalbuis_2.thumb.jpg.be56e062deb1ffc040055f3112ab49f0.jpg1317032495_clonaaloppapier.thumb.jpg.dd5422334c6c29f3626f79a457dea634.jpg

What is your opinion on using these techniques for safeguarding palms?

You can read our whole research on: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97718-1 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-97718-1 

• Like 5

awkonradi

Hi Hannes,

I have been following your publications, and those of others, about clonal propagation of Cocos.  I would be very interested in applying this technology to certain beautiful, fast growing, and cold hardy Cocoid hybrids, especially Jubaea x Syagrus.

kinzyjr

@wilmske Very interesting topic.  Thank you for sharing!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      So recently we have been hitting the low 50s and an occasional 45 to 48 at night and my coconut palm is showing severe yellowing with brown spots all over it. I'm not sure if it's a disease or the cool weather that is causing it ill show pics below of what it looked like in September vs now. The last pic it has yellow patches all over I have no idea why.

• rfielding
      By rfielding
      Hello, 
      As you may have gathered from some of my previous posts, I have a research interest in growing breadfruit outside of its prescribed hardiness zones. I'd like to invite anyone currently growing breadfruit in Florida to fill out a brief survey. This is 100% for academic purposes only and the consent form, which you'll have to scroll through before getting into the survey, explains some of the goals and confidentiality arrangements for the survey itself, as well as for any research publications that might result. 
      You can access the survey here: https://snap.coastal.edu/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=162367429984
      Please share the link far and wide. I'm interested in getting as much good feedback as possible. Feel free to contact me with any questions. 
      Sincerely,
      Russell Fielding
      Coastal Carolina University
      rfielding@coastal.edu 
    • Cool Ritchie
      By Cool Ritchie
      Hello,
      Question:  Can  Phoenix Date palms for example,  Hybridized Reclinatas  be grown by taking one of the small suckers at the bottom of it and replanting it?  Thank you for any comment or advise.

• Haddock
      By Haddock
      Out of all the coconut varieties in the world, which one would you say can handle cool temps for the longest?
    • Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      A month ago I purchased a young coconut that had been grown in a grocery bag. It had terrible root wrap, and I had to sever its thicker roots, which had fused with the bag. It looked yellow and sick, but it’s putting out a new frond now. Do you think it’s going to grow out of the root-wrap stage? (I’m also including pics of my other palms, which came with the house.)