IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline Australis trunk problem?

Paradise Found

Hi, should I be concern about this split in the trunk. A few years ago it was small but now with the trunk growing wider so has this damaged part.  The inside is hard as a rock just like the outside trunk.  Should I not worry about it? 

IMG-1766.JPG

IMG-1762.JPG

55 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Hi, should I be concern about this split in the trunk. A few years ago it was small but now with the trunk growing wider so has this damaged part.  The inside is hard as a rock just like the outside trunk.  Should I not worry about it? 

IMG-1766.JPG

IMG-1762.JPG

Would keep an eye on it to play it safe..  but,  As long as the trunk is otherwise solid / has no apparent soft areas in this section, I'd say you should be ok..  Going w/ the 2nd picture, ..Looks like this is old damage that has / is continuing to heal over ( Cambium layer growing over the damaged area ). 

Because it is single- trunked, vs. having 2 / more heads,  less likely it would split down the middle, imo. In the case of multiple heads, that split might be a weak point that x branch connected to it could break off.

• Like 1

It is a single trunk one the tallest one I have and I have a lot of them at different heights.  This one is around 14'-16' tall. It bloom for the first time this summer.  I don't mind it being a single, and yes it was an old wound. The living tissue healed itself up good. 

Thanks for your input. 

I won't worry about it.... Unless it get really cold like 15F or colder. 

Edited by Paradise Found

I’ve seen it before on them. I don’t think it’s an issue.  I can’t believe you got them this big in 8a. One heck of a microclimate you’ve got going on. 

They seem to grow pretty fast. I yanked one after a year of growth and it had to be 3’ around. I think for sure I’m going to put some more green ones back in my landscape. I actually like the plain old green ones the best. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

The last time it got really cold I wrapped the trunk with a blanket thats why it is so tall. But there are lots of good example of tall ones in town.  I like the colorful ones as focal points in the garden, they don't grow as fast as the green ones but they do brighten up the garden. 

IMG-0555.JPG

• Like 2

Yes the colorful ones are nice pops of color, but I like the structure and look of big green ones.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yes the colorful ones are nice pops of color, but I like the structure and look of big green ones.

The green ones are hardier an more beefier thats for sure.  Trunks get massive too at a certain age. 

3 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

The green ones are hardier an more beefier thats for sure.  Trunks get massive too at a certain age. 

Some pretty big ones around here but not as large of the mature specimens at the coast.  Funny thing is I spent months in New Zealand but never paid attention to plants back then so have no memory of seeing them there.

• Like 1

I was thinking of adding a couple of these for color.  Do you know if these require lots of water (like Hawaiian Ti types) or a more dry area?

3 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I was thinking of adding a couple of these for color.  Do you know if these require lots of water (like Hawaiian Ti types) or a more dry area?

They just need regular weekly watering is all, not in a consistently wet place. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

They just need regular weekly watering is all, not in a consistently wet place. 

That would work well in my backyard, which is pretty sandy and drains fast.  Various Tis have suffered there, and they thrive in my front yard bed that gets drenched every morning.  I can pick up a couple of Australis pretty easily, that would be great for some color against my relenting sea of green...