IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Selling my Washy

WSimpson

26B30B61-F814-47DA-8145-3C1FD6D7BA4B.thumb.jpeg.87ed8742df9e5f8b136bf6daf1833077.jpegMy Washy is growing about 2.5 feet

My Washy is growing about 2.5 feet a season which means it will be another 10 feet taller in only 4 years . I'm not planning to sell this Washy in the next 2 years but I wanted to get a little early feedback on how much I can expect to get for it .

Right now I think the clear trunk up to the base of the newest spear is about 23 feet . I can't see it being able to be transported easily if it gets too much taller . 

Does anyone know about how much it would sell for from my place in the northwest Piedmont  of NC to  places like Southern SC or the Georgia coast , or places where it wouldn't need protection ? Just trying to get a feel for what it might be worth with transporting and digging  it  taken into consideration .

Thanks ,

Will

04FCF703-22F3-4877-BFEB-16638BFF82FF.heic

Edited by Will Simpson

I think it's tricky because palm wholesale businesses would take a machine out and dig a LOT of palms on their own farm and sell them and they have the equipment.  Your main obstacle is having someone with the equipment to move it.  So after all my rambling I have no idea on $$.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The palm nurseries around here won't take these medium to larger palms for free, they charge to remove them.  Too much labor.

If you just want it to go to a good home and you can find the right 'candidate', you could have them remove it themselves and take it for free. Otherwise you are going to have to hire an excavator to dig it out, unless you do it with a shovel and cut the roots, which would be tedious to say the least. Then you would need to lift it out with a crane, or some kind of pulley, which again is more equipment you will probably need to hire, unless you can get 3-4 people to help you lift it out and position it. That's not really practical though.

You could probably sell that washie for $750, but it would likely cost the same amount just to hire the equipment for a day to remove it. I don't think you'll be able to dig it out and lift it by hand, not without damaging it, or damaging yourself. I was looking into removing a 25 foot Trachycarpus for someone recently and including the equipment hire costs for a small excavator and pulley crane, it would definitely cost as much, if not more to remove, than the actual palm itself. So it isn't worth your time and money to uproot it yourself. The only option really is for someone else to remove it for you and to take the palm for free.

I know I've asked you before, but what's your lowest winter temperature over the past 5 years? If I was you I would be tempted to just leave it and hope it survives for a number of years. Even if it gets defoliated most winters, it will likely have a full crown again by July-August. If you're lucky it may survive for another decade or so like that, coming back again each spring, until a once in a decade cold event finally see's it off. Or are you certain that its first winter unprotected would definitely kill it dead? Your winter temps don't look too bad there.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Around here the one palm nursery will come and take larger palms out, but you're not going to get paid for it.  If you're lucky he'll give you a small one to replace it in exchange.

18 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Around here the one palm nursery will come and take larger palms out, but you're not going to get paid for it.  If you're lucky he'll give you a small one to replace it in exchange.

And if your really lucky it won't be another Washy hahahaha

• Like 1

Jim , I think my Filibusta  has too much Robusta in it . It isn't very frond hardy and it grows like a weed fast  . 

Will

Wouldn't it have been great if it was a Filifera to start....

you probably wouldn't even need to protect it there..it can

be a little difficult to find pure Filifera these days as everyone

on here knows.

You have been more than successful with that palm for sure!

Does anyone else think a filifera would survive unprotected in 7b? I think they struggle even in Wilmington which is a solid 8a. 

They struggle in lots of places when there is freaky cold, just look at Texas last winter

horrible...

If a Filifera could grow there in the first place I don't think he would have

needed to cover it like he did this one....hopefully this answers your question.

32 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Does anyone else think a filifera would survive unprotected in 7b? I think they struggle even in Wilmington which is a solid 8a. 

@Jimhardy Filifera may survive the winters where he is, but will they take the 25 inches of summer rainfall and high humidity from May - September? That following one of his winters in NC.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this  post . 

It has given me a lot of insights into what I can expect , and how I may have to adjust my thinking about that palm  . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

Has it ever put out seeds? I would love some seeds if it does before you sell!

Edited by ZPalms

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this  post . 

It has given me a lot of insights into what I can expect , and how I may have to adjust my thinking about that palm  . 

Will

I hear ya! We have our babies and it's hard to see them die, etc.  I think the main issue here is the actual moving of it.  Someone would probably pay big for YOU to dig it and install it in a warmer area.  Maybe put it on ebay and see if a tree person would bite?  I see trees on there sometime that are ones you have to come dig.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I’ve seen many large palm trees on Facebook that people will give away, but the person has to dig and move it and usually fill back in the dirt. I think that scares a lot of people off and from the looks of it people have a hard time even giving away large palms. 

In your area I am sure you are probably the only one in town selling a palm tree that size. You may have to get creative, but there has got to be a palm nut or a local business that would pay for it. 

You just have to get awareness out. Someone with a ton of money will buy it for the novelty.

Even if it only lasts a few more years a business could really benefit from having it and all the attention it would get being the largest Washingtonia in the city 

Good your starting early to get awareness out there...

Washy for sale; low miles,maintenece records keep up to date

and item only out in good weather, new fan belts, 3' of fresh trunk

tow package included...can you dig?

No ,  it never has seeded . I think it puts all its energy in renewing its canopy of 25-30 fronds a year . It's only frond hardy to 24F so every winter  its fronds get zapped . 

Will

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

In your area I am sure you are probably the only one in town selling a palm tree that size. You may have to get creative, but there has got to be a palm nut or a local business that would pay for it. 

You just have to get awareness out. Someone with a ton of money will buy it for the novelty.

Even if it only lasts a few more years a business could really benefit from having it and all the attention it would get being the largest Washingtonia in the city 

Thanks for the ideas . I might look around and maybe there is a perfect site with protection some winters ,  where someone would be able to deal with it once it got way higher than it is now . \Will

Lol! My neighbor was looking for a palm a few years back. I drove by a house in the beginnibg of my neighborhood & saw a 25+ foot washy laying in the yard that had been dug out. Lady said if you can get it out of here take it... We wrapped a chain around the rootball & dragged it a half mile to his house right down the road. Never missed a beat & is still going strong.

• Like 1