IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus hybrids

Fallen Munk

I'm trying to get as many Trachycarpus hybrids going as I can and I though of one that might be really interesting.  T. latisectus X T. princeps.  Or vice versa.  Anybody ever hear of someone doing that cross?  Maybe if I live long enough for mine to get big I'll try that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I'm trying to get as many Trachycarpus hybrids going as I can and I though of one that might be really interesting.  T. latisectus X T. princeps.  Or vice versa.  Anybody ever hear of someone doing that cross?  Maybe if I live long enough for mine to get big I'll try that.

That's funny I was just talking about that yesterday.  I have both palm species, but all to small to to fruit, maybe one day.

• Like 1

I recall hearing on the UK forum that someone had a T.Martianus that was some

kind of hybrid......however,my understanding is that reniform seeds(kidney shaped)like- Fortunei,Takil,Wagnerianus etc

except for the Latisectus and Martianus which are coffee bean shaped will not (generally)

=generally meaning if there is a cross that exists=:o cross because they are not compatible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

I recall hearing on the UK forum that someone had a T.Martianus that was some

kind of hybrid......however,my understanding is that reniform seeds(kidney shaped)like- Fortunei,Takil,Wagnerianus etc

except for the Latisectus and Martianus which are coffee bean shaped will not (generally)

=generally meaning if there is a cross that exists=:o cross because they are not compatible

Yes, I was just talking to Victor Silver on FB who basically said the same thing.  He said: "There has been a instance in New Zealand where a fortunei has been crossed with martianus, but this is rare."  

For sure worth a try...my Princeps x Waggie is just gorgeous and is growing

quite fast esp since I put it in the ground...it also has some nice tight fur

around the trunk,very tidy and beautiful leaves.

I think the Princeps x Waggie has been the most sought after hybrid

of these palms and now we are starting to see how gorgeous they are...

Trachyhead (Victor haha) has got some really cool Trachy crosses and

at one time(maybe still)he had a wonderful Martianus!