Sign in to follow this  
Dadamanga2

Tahina Export Mechanism

Dadamanga2

Hello all.  I am a long time resident of Madagascar and am particularly interested in the subject of how seeds get out of the country.

Tahina is a great example of this, and I would really like to understand the mechanism that was used to export Tahina seeds, so perhaps some of the people who were involved could please reply?  

The reason why I ask is because I keep seeing photos of Tahina in the various Facebook groups in the gardens of many private collectors, yet, here in Madagascar, this species is more or less unknown and is certainly not widely cultivated.  I do not know of any collectors or private persons here that have any, although, there probably are plants here and there.  If I understand correctly, Kew has been involved in the collection of seeds here in Madagascar, but, I didn't know Kew distributed seeds to private collectors.  I understand that Kew has a collaboration with the Malagasy government, but still, the question about distribution to private collectors remains.  I am not in any way saying that I disagree that seeds should be sent to private collectors, I understand very well the role collectors can play in the conservation of species by ensuring wide ex-situ cultivation therefore improving the chances of survival of a species, but, I am just keen to understand the mechanisms that have been used to distribute seeds of this palm.

In theory, I would have thought, seeds collected in Madagascar would / should have been sent to the SNGF and managed via their international convention with the OECD for collection of forest seeds.

I would really like to understand how it happened / happens.

Thanks and best wishes to all.  I paste below a bit of reference to the SNGF OECD partnership:

The OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) system for the certification of forest reproductive material intended for international trade aims to encourage the production and use of seeds, parts of plants and seedlings including harvesting, transport, packaging, breeding and distribution are carried out in such a way that their identity is guaranteed.

Madagascar, through the SNGF, became a member of the System in 1998. Decree n° 98-033 of January 8, 1998 mentions that the SNGF plays the role of the authority designated by the Malagasy Government to monitor and control the implementation of the system in Madagascar.

The OECD system for the control of forest reproductive material is based on a number of rules relating to:

- the categorization of forest reproductive material according to their genetic quality;

- the delimitation of the regions of origin of forest seeds in each country;

- admission and official registration of basic materials (places where seeds are collected);

- production, certification and marketing standards for seed lots.

Seeds are considered to be an important form of representation of forest genetic resources. Consideration of these rules of the OECD system is therefore essential to contribute to the sustainable management of these resources.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this