IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cool weather prep tips?

ZPalms

I've been meaning to ask this for a while because I have no idea what to do with my European fan palm for the winter, Do I bring it inside for the winter or do I leave it outside and bring it into the screen in porch and wrap it with Christmas lights around the pot and middle? I'm completely confused what to do with a big palm not in the ground but cold hardier cause I don't want frost to kill it from being so exposed since it's not in the ground.

I also don't know when I should bring in washies, trachycarpus fortunei, sabal causiarum, trachycarpus (wxp or nova????) but I'm assuming once the temperature starts dropping below 45 I should bring them in?

This photo is from September 17th.

IMG-7498.thumb.jpg.86da343dc5c479c981672e1df1e2aaf3.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

Im assuming all the other palms you listed are seedlings? If so, i personally wouldnt chance the washies. The others might be fine in a light freeze, couldnt say for sure though. I babied my palmettos through their first winter, i think they only experienced frost one time. They definitely could have taken a freeze, but i just didnt want to chance it, those are my first seedlings lol
For the Med Fan, if you dont feel comfortable leaving it out and exposed during frosty conditions or freezes, you could bring it up to the porch, no harm in that. They should tolerate freezes, but not quite as low of a temperature since its in a pot. Im just speaking out of what i would do personally, i have experience with absolutely none of these palms that you mentioned. As long as the pot and soil doesnt freeze for the Med Fan i would assume it would be just fine left out in the open like it is. The seedlings will be more fragile, and like i said above, i wouldnt chance them, but they should be fine down into the mid 30's as long as they are under a cover of some sort to prevent frost.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Yes they are all seedlings! I may have to bring the seedlings inside cause the bags are very thin so the soil would freeze very quick and it stays very cold a couple months but that makes me worry about little pest that have found their way into the soil like spring tails or whatever into my house.

I'll put the fan on under the porch on freezing nights, cause I'm sure that it would freeze through if I left it out in the open and move it back in the sun in the day! 

Thanks!!!