IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia recommendation for Gulf Coast 8B?

Manalto

Pindo palm (Butia odorata) is a common sight in this region, some of them quite large and beautiful.  My planting space in full sun is limited. I'm just becoming acquainted with the other species of Butia and see that B. catarinensis is smaller in maturity.  Would you recommend it for my climate? Does this species have the glaucous blue coloration that we often see on pindo? Other butia suggestions?

Not sure honestly, just recently got one myself from another member here on Palm Talk.  Your problem will be finding one, as not many grow it. 

Have you looked into perhaps a mule palm?

@Manalto Our local butias are likely catarinensis (or true capitata). They are a nice glaucous blue, and have football shaped seeds instead of the round seeds of odorata. They are also less..."beefy" if you will, of those found lower in the state and panhandle. 

Most of them grow in full blazing sun, but I recently saw some smaller palms growing up against the sides of building in shade, and as expected the fronds were much longer and stretched out. They really are a full sun palm IMO. 

The species itself (catarinensis) is found in coastal areas in southern brazil and surrounding areas. I would assume that it would likely do fine in Mobile. 

5 hours ago, Scott W said:

Have you looked into perhaps a mule palm?

If a pindo is too large a mule certainly won't work. I do have one though and in a high visibility location and I think it's wonderful. 

3 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Manalto Our local butias are likely catarinensis (or true capitata). They are a nice glaucous blue, and have football shaped seeds instead of the round seeds of odorata. They are also less..."beefy" if you will, of those found lower in the state and panhandle. 

Shawn, do you know a source near you for a good-sized catarinensis or capitata in a pot or B&B? If so, I think it would be worth it for me to take a ride up in the spring, especially if it's blue.

Edited by Manalto

The only place I have been able to find them potted in 3-25 gallon sizes is at a nursery I go to in montgomery/troy - Harwells Green Thumb. 

Its an old nursery, and they have a limited selection (don't expect what you would see in the panhandle), but their prices are far better than the places north of me that carry them at ridiculous prices for the doctors and lawyers in Birmingham. 

My 3 gallon I got was $24 and in a full growing season went from a 3 gallon to a 10-15 gallon if I had to guess (its roughly 6 ft from base to tip now). 

Mine was also labeled capitata. 

Up in Birmingham/Inverness there is Hannahs Garden Center. They have butias and trachys - but expect to pay about $300 for a 7 gallon size... 

Magnolia landscape Supply in Summerdale Alabama also has butias but I do not know the species they have. Its been quite a while since I was down there. 

I am in between Birmingham and Montgomery - so I usually travel north or south 80 miles to find something. 

I do have about 2 dozen seeds from local Butias that I am attempting to germinate now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

The only place I have been able to find them potted in 3-25 gallon sizes is at a nursery I go to in montgomery/troy - Harwells Green Thumb. 

Its an old nursery, and they have a limited selection (don't expect what you would see in the panhandle), but their prices are far better than the places north of me that carry them at ridiculous prices for the doctors and lawyers in Birmingham. 

My 3 gallon I got was $24 and in a full growing season went from a 3 gallon to a 10-15 gallon if I had to guess (its roughly 6 ft from base to tip now). 

Mine was also labeled capitata. 

Harwell's sounds like the place to go. $24 for a 3 gallon certainly sounds fair. It's 2.5 hours from here, so not a terrible schlep, although I might spend more for gas than for plants - oh, well.  I haven't really explored the options much in this region (including the panhandle) but locally (the Mobile area) as far as I've seen, the selection is limited to those species with broad commercial appeal and Zone 9 species that will do OK at the shore.

• Like 1