IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prematurely falling leaves

DoomsDave

One of my Roystonea borenquenia is in an apparent wind tunnel in my back yard. On Santa Ana wind days, the wind rips leaves off long before they’re supposed to fall.

683DB2C7-4889-4728-9E8D-864787528731.thumb.jpeg.bc9a6b0bffab07c600d64b969d0bd1ec.jpeg

6219F15E-E18D-4FF7-9AF6-7D75EDE5BDF5.thumb.jpeg.7b8701108b3e88e1d80f25febe42220f.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just one of the hazards of big palms... crushed seedlings. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Actually, no one got damaged, thankfully.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

my Roystonea borenquenia is in an apparent wind tunnel in my back yard. On Santa Ana wind days, the wind rips leaves off long before they’re supposed to fall

Earlier in the week when it was really windy, I had the same thing happen with one of my Dypsis lanceolata leaves that was at just the correct angle to get torqued.  Leaves above and below it on the crownshaft were fine as were the other trunks, but this one was getting tweaked just enough to snap it off cleanly right next to the trunk on the tallest trunk in the clump.  Not as heavy as your Roytonea leaf when they fall, so no damage to anything below either.  As Steve points out, it is one of the hazards though.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This is how 1/5 leaves falls on my largest(22-25' clear trunk) royal, snapped near the crownshaft.   It has minimal wind buffering to the south, nothing to the east west nd north so it sees the highest winds in my yard.  A couple weeks later the stem snaps, crownshaft yellows and comes down.  I guess if you have enough wind this is how they come off.  I expect this is how they take hurricanes n the carribean and drop leaves but dont get knocked down.  

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Part of what’s weird about this is this only happens to this particular Roystonea. None of the others seem to have the problem. 

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Part of what’s weird about this is this only happens to this particular Roystonea. None of the others seem to have the problem. 

Yeah my #2 never had a limb  break like that, just my bigger one.  I assumed it was because the big one was more exposed, but another factor is water.  The second one is near a hose bib and has a fatter trunk but isnt as tall (5' shorter) and doesnt snap a limb since I had it.  Maybe its water content, drier might be more brittle.

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Yeah my #2 never had a limb  break like that, just my bigger one.  I assumed it was because the big one was more exposed, but another factor is water.  The second one is near a hose bib and has a fatter trunk but isnt as tall (5' shorter) and doesnt snap a limb since I had it.  Maybe its water content, drier might be more brittle.

That’s some useful thoughts!

5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I’ve observed the same in my yard. Palms that are well hydrated have petioles that are flexible like Gumby vs drier petioles that will snap vs bend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James B said:

I’ve observed the same in my yard. Palms that are well hydrated have petioles that are flexible like Gumby vs drier petioles that will snap vs bend.

So I'm going to see if I can stop the snapping.  I put down 1000lb turface MVP to help my sandy yard hold more water for the water loving species.  Also it could be that wind exposed palms need more water to replace what the wind takes away.  The big on that snaps leaves every so often is planted in sand.  Yeah it was ammended but the dig was so easy I got a planting discount since the dig was so easy.  My number 2 royal is planted nearer the house in mostly clay.  Its been mulched for a long time so it has organic material but its probably 50%+ clay.  As they grow tall it will also be harder to pump water up to those leaves so it might get more frequent as the palm gets big.  Im going for more clay in the soil, sintered clay like MVP is porous and drains well too.  Its a solution for my yard since the sandy spots are all over.  At least I know where those spots are after 10 years so I know where to put the Turface MVP down.  I am just targeting water lovers and I hope that it also helps me reduce the need for almost constant mulching and watering. 

Tom Blank