IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Shocked my plant in Charlotte is growing bananas!

charlotte palm guy

20 minutes ago, charlotte palm guy said:

My cold hardy banana style plant is somehow now randomly growing real bananas.  See pick Charlotte, Nc.  Thoughts?

811F16BC-4B53-4F7F-B492-E1F4F1090CB1.jpeg

That is awesome!!! Must be some new genetic variety of bananas floating around, I’m kidding but seriously. I seen last week a relatives bananas are fruiting in central Texas also, drove by a house the other day here in Alabama and saw another tree producing bananas, prior to this year I’ve only seen bananas one time ever on a tree. 

It’s pretty common for Musa basjoo to produce bananas. I find in year 3 the individual stem will flower. I currently have 5 doing this. 

Once they’re done cut them down or they will rot and fall over. 

Personally I hate it when they do this because now the plant is done and you have to dispose of it. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

It’s pretty common for Musa basjoo to produce bananas. I find in year 3 the individual stem will flower. I currently have 5 doing this. 

Once they’re done cut them down or they will rot and fall over. 

Personally I hate it when they do this because now the plant is done and you have to dispose of it. 

Are the bananas tasty?

9 hours ago, Jtee said:

Are the bananas tasty?

No they are technically edible but have no flavor and are full of seeds. 

What sort of banana is this?  We just put in a blue java banana in spring (now two pups planted around the property) and the main one from the spring is now 15' tall... no bananas yet, but I don't think we should expect them in year one anyway.  Beautiful banana, intimidatingly large, and always something people ask about.  They evidently are hardy in our zone on some years but not consistently.. regardless, they are super tropical looking at make the backyard look great.

IMG_20210807_144221.JPG

IMG_20210807_144241.JPG

IMG_20210820_103748.JPG

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I have those, if you prune the pups off the mom grows faster. I use a trench shovel over any other for separation.

I had a couple of bananas fruit in July...I was excited to think I may get

some fruit until I read that it takes 4-6 months for bananas to develop :o

Still.......they are fun to watch develop, the way they flower and then grow the fruit out

is really interesting!

Here's my Thai Black on Dec 30 a few years back. The banana rack got so large the trunk eventually bent from its weight so I removed the fruit before it could fully develop.

The tree died a slow death and produced three pups which are about 8' tall now.

94032391-391A-4CEC-A3A0-3D15B11A3851.thumb.jpeg.8e267ebc3e257017531578bd1500a215.jpeg

6495478D-BF78-4CB3-804F-E6B85B9510E0.thumb.jpeg.19e707deb7183c305123bb0d9b07ae71.jpeg