IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea moorei and Sarukhanil

Paradise Found

I have killed three Moorei and have two left (not too large and one hanging in there by a few leaves). I have found them hard to establish and they did not respond well to cold. I think having excellent winter (drainage) is key. I'll have to double check at some point but I think all the unprotected ones in botanical gardens Texas (eg Hempstead) have died last winter (even large mature ones!).  

Gee, thats to bad, I was hoping they were more hardy. Being dry is key for sure. I wonder if a small greenhouse to keep them from getting to much rain would work or maybe that might cause fungus to grow inside, to many questions no answers.  I still like to try one in a pot and put inside my unheated greenhouse see how it does. 

B. sarukhanii hardiness is unknown to me... cal. palm saids down to 27F. 9b.

Palmpedia says zone 8. 

Anyone have cold data on this palm? Right now I am thinking 9a.

16 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

B. sarukhanii hardiness is unknown to me... cal. palm saids down to 27F. 9b.

Palmpedia says zone 8. 

Anyone have cold data on this palm? Right now I am thinking 9a.

B. sarukhanii at my place, fully exposed, no damage low 28F, many times at and below freezing, and many light frost events.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Brahea Moorei have come back in the Dallas area from 2*F , they burned but returned. As mentioned they are hard to establish for some people. I’ve lost several in containers but seen others have success in the ground.

• Like 1

I had to look these up, great looking palms both of them, would also love to try them.  It seems like Palmpedia is on the more conservative side with their hardiness ratings so they'd surely be worth a shot even if you had to protect them a few years until they got established.  Protecting them to keep the soil dry during winter sounds like a good idea anyway. 

Sounds like they're both native to "high altitude" dry forests so they may like our summers up here.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, Swolte said:

I have killed three Moorei and have two left (not too large and one hanging in there by a few leaves). I have found them hard to establish and they did not respond well to cold. I think having excellent winter (drainage) is key. I'll have to double check at some point but I think all the unprotected ones in botanical gardens Texas (eg Hempstead) have died last winter (even large mature ones!).  

I covered my B. moorei with a blanket and it survived -5F fine. Defoliated completely, but has totally recovered with a full set of leaves. It's 10 years old. Mine is in a raised planter. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Thank You to everyone who posted their experience with these two amazing palm trees.  It help us see just how hardy they can be with the right sighting and care.  With more people growing these two species we can really get a good look at how hardy they are in different climates. I for one am very surprised by the low temps. 

So thank y'all.  :D

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Patric has Brahea moorei on that list from earlier this month.  I may have to try one. 

If you do make sure to give it really good drainage and winter rain protect if you plant one if the ground. 

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

If you do make sure to give it really good drainage and winter rain protect if you plant one if the ground. 

Could it be a lack of summer heat that causes your struggles. Brahea moorei has been effortless for everyone down here. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

1 hour ago, buffy said:

Could it be a lack of summer heat that causes your struggles. Brahea moorei has been effortless for everyone down here. 

Buffy,  we don't have your long hot summer, ours is more like 3 months. Airport here did get up to 109F/43C breaking the old record of 104F. Portland, OR got up to 115F. Dang that's hot. 

I don't think anyone in the PNW on this board has tried one yet.  So some experimentation has to be done here. I think the winter rains and cold might be the worst thing for Moorei in the PNW.  I have 52" of rain yearly, some place like Seattle only 30"- 35".

Edited by Paradise Found