Sign in to follow this  
Gottagrowemall

What are your must have palms for 9b Florida?

Gottagrowemall
3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

copernicia hospita is good to a cool9B

Copernicia hospita – Rare Palm

Very cool, it reminds me of a multi trunked bismark

kinzyjr
23 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Thank you for sharing, Who generated this spreadsheet? 

This spreadsheet was generated from the Trebrown Nursery List and is used as a base reference list for the Cold Hardiness Master Data.  As cold damage observations were added, the list had to be increased as there were species and synonyms not in the list.  It isn't perfect and there should probably be some amendments, but it is a decent starting point.

Jesse PNW

Thanks for the info.  A lot of those numbers look quite optimistic to me, at least at the colder end of the spectrum.  I have referenced this often:

http://www.trebrown.com/documents/climate/palmhardinesstrials.php  

but I didn't know that excel existed.   I enjoy reading posts from you Floridians, dreaming about things I can't grow but will hopefully someday.  

• Like 1

carolstropicals

I don't know much about palms, but I do know Ravenea rivulari or I think is the Majesty Palm does die easily in a freeze.  They are sold at the big box stores.

I've tried and lost with that palm.

Strangely I had an areca palm for years planted in the back by my house that lasted for literally years.  Finally had to dig it out since it was multiplying so much with new growth.

It had expanded at least a foot and became too big for my taste.

RedRabbit
40 minutes ago, carolstropicals said:

I don't know much about palms, but I do know Ravenea rivulari or I think is the Majesty Palm does die easily in a freeze.  They are sold at the big box stores.

They can be pretty tough, members have posted pictures of them growing way up in Tallahassee.

• Like 1

kinzyjr
1 hour ago, carolstropicals said:

I've tried and lost with that palm.

Strangely I had an areca palm for years planted in the back by my house that lasted for literally years.  Finally had to dig it out since it was multiplying so much with new growth.

It had expanded at least a foot and became too big for my taste.

It really depends.  In a Houston 9b, it's a bit different than some other 9b areas.  Here, fully mature Majesty Palms (Ravenea rivularis) are prevalent even on the margins of town where temperatures in the high teens and low 20s were recorded in January 2010.  By comparison, the weather stations in town and up in elevation recorded an ultimate low between 26F and 29F that year.  As @RedRabbit mentioned, there are photos of them in the Freeze Damage Data forums surviving more than 10 years in Tallahassee.

Xenon
23 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

It really depends.  In a Houston 9b, it's a bit different than some other 9b areas. 

There used to be some big majesties around town, a few were probably approaching 15-20 years. Some of them were still alive 8ish months ago. You could've planted a bunch in 1997 or even 1990 in central Houston and some would probably still be alive until last February's Arctic Express. They are tough but not 14F tough. 18-20F is the limit here dependent on duration. 

• Upvote 1