IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are your must have palms for 9b Florida?

Gottagrowemall

I have several native sabals, two Alexander palms (cunninghamia I think), beccario alfreddii, maypan (wish me luck), random coconut (probably Jamaican tall) double wish me luck, two adonidia, some type of bottle palm, and I think that’s it. I’d like a Bismarck for my property I planted one for my mom. I always wanted a CIDP but I don’t have the space for it. My property is full of clumping bamboo, bananas, and other fruit trees.

• Like 3

Kerriodoxa and Chambeyronia if sited well

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

54 minutes ago, Kailua_Krish said:

Kerriodoxa and Chambeyronia if sited well

I assumed chambeyronia was a 10b Palm for some reason. I wonder how I would go about getting one. It’s hardy to 25 degrees? I could put it in a protected area too.

7 minutes ago, Scott W said:

You're about 69 palm trees short on what was listed....:floor:

Give me some suggestions, I need to expand. I have some small reclinata and either a very large reclinata species or a cidp in a pot with another one that is smaller.

• Like 1

This would be a great start:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/70914-kentiopsis-oliviformis-seedlings/&tab=comments#comment-1021399

You may find the attached Excel sheet a good tool to use for a starting point.

AllPalms_InZoneOrder.xlsx

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

How far are you from the beach?

Flagler County probably won’t support crownshafted palms unless you’re right by the beach. Ravenea rivularis and Copernicia alba are two good palms that would probably do well in your area… Beccariophoenix alfredii was a very good choice. It won’t be fully hardy there, but it’s close enough and it’s a great palm for Florida. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

21 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Thank you for that spreadsheet. I already have enough plants I’m pushing the zone on

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedRabbit said:

How far are you from the beach?

Flagler County probably won’t support crownshafted palms unless you’re right by the beach. Ravenea rivularis and Copernicia alba are two good palms that would probably do well in your area… Beccariophoenix alfredii was a very good choice. It won’t be fully hardy there, but it’s close enough and it’s a great palm for Florida. 

I am 3 miles from the beach. About 3 miles inland. I’ll look up those two you mentioned, thanks! 

32 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

I assumed chambeyronia was a 10b Palm for some reason. I wonder how I would go about getting one. It’s hardy to 25 degrees? I could put it in a protected area too.

I have both in Ocala FL in a protected location under some oaks. The Kerriodoxa are almost bulletproof, the chambeyronia get hit in colder winters so dont get large but have nice red leaves. In a warmer area I bet you could sneak them by.

-Krishna

1 minute ago, Kailua_Krish said:

I have both in Ocala FL in a protected location under some oaks. The Kerriodoxa are almost bulletproof, the chambeyronia get hit in colder winters so dont get large but have nice red leaves. In a warmer area I bet you could sneak them by.

Where did you get your chambeyronia? I’ve never seen one at a big box store and my local dude in ormond beach that has rare stuff has never had them.

1 minute ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Where did you get your chambeyronia? I’ve never seen one at a big box store and my local dude in ormond beach that has rare stuff has never had them.

I got mine from Jeff S. a long time ago when I was in med school in Miami. Sadly that is no longer a source. These do grow fast and easily from seed and I saw Bill is selling some in the for sale section.

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

26 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

I am 3 miles from the beach. About 3 miles inland. I’ll look up those two you mentioned, thanks! 

3 miles isn’t that bad. Palm Coast goes pretty far inland, but since you’re on the east side of town your palm options should be a bit better. :greenthumb:

Edited by RedRabbit

39 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

I bought this one recently.  If you'd like it, let me know when you can pick it up.  I'll only ask the last price this gentleman posted on this thread:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/70798-chambeyronia-houailouensis-for-sale/

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Chambeyronia_sp._'Houailou'

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, Gottagrowemall said:

I lost two of them last winter in a 28F with frost night, they were out in the open and defoliated.  A triple near my house was 2-3F warmer and under queen palm canopy, so it only had a bit of spotting and no significant damage.  I planted two more 4-6 footers in the front yard with some protection, hopefully they will survive.  So in my experience they are 30F hardy with no frost, but not below that.

2 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I lost two of them last winter in a 28F with frost night, they were out in the open and defoliated.  A triple near my house was 2-3F warmer and under queen palm canopy, so it only had a bit of spotting and no significant damage.  I planted two more 4-6 footers in the front yard with some protection, hopefully they will survive.  So in my experience they are 30F hardy with no frost, but not below that.

Gotta put them under dense high oak canopy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

9 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Give me some suggestions, I need to expand. I have some small reclinata and either a very large reclinata species or a cidp in a pot with another one that is smaller.

Sorry man, apparently was feeling a little too good last night when I posted that.

Mule palm, super mule, Chamaedorea radicalis & microspadix and maybe a few others, possibly some smaller Syagrus and Butia species.

For some other 9b suggestions that are mostly or totally bulletproof: Allagoptera Arenaria; Arenga Engleri and Micrantha; Beccariophoenix Alfredii; Butia x Jubaea (and the reverse); Chamaerops Humilis; most Copernicia like Baileyana, Fallaensis, Macroglossa; Dypsis Decaryi, Pembana, Leptocheilos and Lanceolata; Kentiopsis Oliviformis; Livistona Fulva, Saribus and Speciosa; Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii; almost any Phoenix; Ptychosperma Macarthurii; Rhapis Excelsa, Humilis and Multifida; Serenoa Repens Cerifera; Sabal Mauritiiformis and Causiarum; Caryota Mitis variegated.

There's a bunch of fairly hardy understory ones like Arenga Hookeriana; Licuala Fordiana, Ramsayi and Spinosa that are pretty tough but want some shade.  I've bought seedlings of these types and will grow them up to decent size in a couple of years.  By then I'll have some shade for them!

Some marginal ones are Pinanga Coronata (I like the Kuhlii form); Thrinax Radiata; Leucothrinax Morrisii; Dictyosperma Album; Caryota Gigas/Obtusa and Urens; Arenga Caudata, Westerhoutii, Undulatifolia and Pinnata; Attalea Cohune, Butyracea, Phalerata and Brejinhoensis; Allagoptera Caudescens; Saribus Rotundifolia; Areca Triandra; etc.

I started out with a Sylvester and a Pindo, then added a couple of Spindles and Bottles.  Now I have ~269 palms in the ground in 110 species...and another ~180 in pots in 60 more species.  :D

• Like 2

A cold 9B is a lot different than a warm one.  Many species are eliminated going from 29F low to 25F low.  Also once in a decade we get hit with something a little colder.  That hasnt happened since 2010, we are due.   When that cold hits, cocos are done here.  If you haven't seen that cold, it looks like a cold 10b here.  Not sur we hit below 35F for a few years.  But I remember 28F so I know that small crownshafts are at risk in open yards even here.  There is a window that if you can get some size on them, some of those crownshafts can survive even 28F.  Below that is sketchy and alot depends on how long the cold is as much as how low it goes.  When you hear someone in a dry climate say bismarckia is good to 20F while they die in a wet one, both are valid to their areas.  If I were in a 26F ultimate low climate I would first get some canopy using bismarckia, big carribean sabals(domingensis, causiarum) and beccariophoenix alfredii.    10 years later they are trapping down some heat to help zone push some crownshafted palms.  The 5 happiest/most radiant palms in 9B depends on your area.  If you push the zone too far or have the wrong soil/watering regimen they will look unhappy. 

• Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

19 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I bought this one recently.  If you'd like it, let me know when you can pick it up.  I'll only ask the last price this gentleman posted on this thread:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/70798-chambeyronia-houailouensis-for-sale/

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Chambeyronia_sp._'Houailou'

Where are you located? I took your advice and got some seedlings of the kentiopsis so funds are a little low.

5 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Highly recommend Arenga Engleri. A slow grower but well worth it. 

Oh yeah I looked into these awhile ago for a shady part of my yard but I had a really hard time finding any for sale. The cheapest was 300$ but it was a nice specimen 

7 hours ago, Merlyn said:

For some other 9b suggestions that are mostly or totally bulletproof: Allagoptera Arenaria; Arenga Engleri and Micrantha; Beccariophoenix Alfredii; Butia x Jubaea (and the reverse); Chamaerops Humilis; most Copernicia like Baileyana, Fallaensis, Macroglossa; Dypsis Decaryi, Pembana, Leptocheilos and Lanceolata; Kentiopsis Oliviformis; Livistona Fulva, Saribus and Speciosa; Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii; almost any Phoenix; Ptychosperma Macarthurii; Rhapis Excelsa, Humilis and Multifida; Serenoa Repens Cerifera; Sabal Mauritiiformis and Causiarum; Caryota Mitis variegated.

There's a bunch of fairly hardy understory ones like Arenga Hookeriana; Licuala Fordiana, Ramsayi and Spinosa that are pretty tough but want some shade.  I've bought seedlings of these types and will grow them up to decent size in a couple of years.  By then I'll have some shade for them!

Some marginal ones are Pinanga Coronata (I like the Kuhlii form); Thrinax Radiata; Leucothrinax Morrisii; Dictyosperma Album; Caryota Gigas/Obtusa and Urens; Arenga Caudata, Westerhoutii, Undulatifolia and Pinnata; Attalea Cohune, Butyracea, Phalerata and Brejinhoensis; Allagoptera Caudescens; Saribus Rotundifolia; Areca Triandra; etc.

I started out with a Sylvester and a Pindo, then added a couple of Spindles and Bottles.  Now I have ~269 palms in the ground in 110 species...and another ~180 in pots in 60 more species.  :D

Dang so I’m around where you started but beginning to branch out. Seeing some of these gorgeous palms I’ve never seen before has me excited. Kentiopsis olviformis was eye catching. I just purchased some seedlings of that palm. 

thanks for the list, I will go through them this evening 

• Like 1

jj2100152501_C.macrocarpa.thumb.jpg.08c5bf2ef9490f63c08cddbe7d002d3e.jpgZone 9a/ 9b....? I dunno................ Melbourne Beach, FL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

959098141_Koliformis.thumb.jpg.5cb4e1a4cd2cf07af130e6a063768bfc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

Our Carpentaria triple is fantastic. 

Carpentaria.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Again, I don't know what zone- 9a or 9b but the palms I have posted have done well here.... .Last one- Rootspine .......... I made all these photos this evening!

Rootspine.jpg

Edited by weldertom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Where are you located? I took your advice and got some seedlings of the kentiopsis so funds are a little low.

I'm located in Lakeland, FL.  You're going to like the Kentiopsis (which were recently renamed to Chambeyronia oliviformis).  They're probably the most underrated crownshaft palm at this point.  Here's an excerpt from the Cold Hardiness Master Data for them:

202110131900_Kentiopsis_oliviformis_reports.jpg

Lakeland, FL

1 hour ago, weldertom said:

jj2100152501_C.macrocarpa.thumb.jpg.08c5bf2ef9490f63c08cddbe7d002d3e.jpgZone 9a/ 9b....? I dunno................ Melbourne Beach, FL

What is this one?

3 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

What is this one?

Chambeyronia macrocarpa "watermelon" 

The camera perspective is making the leaves look much less substantial than they really are.  Its quite a spread.

Edited by weldertom

6 minutes ago, weldertom said:

Chambeyronia macrocarpa "watermelon" 

The camera perspective is making the leaves look much less substantial than they really are.  Its quite a spread.

Dang I gotta have a macrocarpa or 5…

1 hour ago, weldertom said:

Melbourne Beach is solidly 10a, possibly bordering on 10b. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weldertom said:

Again, I don't know what zone- 9a or 9b but the palms I have posted have done well here.... .Last one- Rootspine .......... I made all these photos this evening!

Rootspine.jpg

That's a great Cryosophila Warscewiczii!  I just got a couple of big seedlings, how much sun does yours get?

On 10/12/2021 at 6:01 PM, kinzyjr said:

Thank you for sharing, Who generated this spreadsheet? 

8 hours ago, D Palm said:

How about a native...pseudophoenix sargentii?

Oooo I like it! I need to make a list of the palms I’ve looked up that I want to look out for 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merlyn said:

That's a great Cryosophila Warscewiczii!  I just got a couple of big seedlings, how much sun does yours get?

Not a ton of direct sun...... probably an hour in the morning and and maybe hour at late afternoon. it sits on the edge of the canopy on the north side of two oaks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weldertom said:

Not a ton of direct sun...... probably an hour in the morning and and maybe hour at late afternoon. it sits on the edge of the canopy on the north side of two oaks 

Thanks for the info!  I have some seedlings in full AM sun, then canopy afterwards.  They seem happy and dark green there, so I think I am going to plant one just to the East of a Foxtail, so it'll provide some shade in the PM.

• Like 1

copernicia hospita is good to a cool9B

Copernicia hospita – Rare Palm

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank