Sign in to follow this  
bubba

Where and what are these Palms

UK_Palms
1 hour ago, bubba said:

Without further ado:65FEA783-7D5C-47DA-99D8-179FFE42A483.thumb.jpeg.2751d37c2a86c33702cb04f59f494236.jpeg

This one looks like a Jubaea x Queen to me, but I may be totally off the money. 

• Like 1

LivistonaFan
1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

This one looks like a Jubaea x Queen to me, but I may be totally off the money. 

I would think it is a slightly unhealthy looking Majesty Palm (Ravenea rivularis), but I can certainly see some similarities to your mentioned hybrid. 

All of these palms are rather common (some even ubiquitous) in Florida and one would think that bubba is very familiar with them. Therefore it's not the palms themselves that are special but the location they are growing at. It must be somewhere quite northern for Florida standards to be considered impressive. Maybe somewhere near Orlando?

• Like 2

Palmarum

A college or university perhaps? Some of those palms are very old.

Ryan

• Like 1

bubba

Ravenea rivularis with a really bad haircut! LivistonaFan and Palmarum are correct but not the city…Any contenders…

bubba

Tampa General Hospital (USF teaching hospital)

• Upvote 1

SubTropicRay

I recognized that courtyard.  The Arenga pinnata set seed a few years ago and got removed,  The very tall Ravenea was also removed.  

• Like 1

bubba

Ray,

I took the picture of the Ravnea today, October 13, 2021. Rumors of it’s removal are not justified!

D Palm
On 10/12/2021 at 4:48 PM, bubba said:

8306A031-7CF4-4008-88E6-EC9E8FD18758.thumb.jpeg.779e8e3f1eef0e1ddc34a8c1ccbcfe16.jpeg

Appears to be 2 Royal Palms, with 2 Sabal Palmettos on the back right.

• Like 1

D Palm
On 10/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, bubba said:

A455B877-20EA-42C3-89CB-31FCE7C15216.thumb.jpeg.c89df0649fa49ac35dceb20b7332201e.jpeg

Looks like the trunk of a Roystonea.

• Like 1

bubba

You would be correct. This is a great assemblage of palms on a small parcel of land in Tampa that was unexpected.

In fact, the entire area of Davis Island is full of large and well grown 10b specimens. Many coconuts of far greater size and age. It makes for a beautiful mix of large oaks and tropical foliage. Very similar to Vero Beach on the east coast.

• Upvote 1