IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

growing like a weed

Palmlover_78

I read that Trachys are slow growers. well I'm guessing mine missed the memo. I've only had this tree for just over a year and WOW. In that year the Tree threw out 8 Fronds, grew 5" and it's trunk is 4 times thicker, The fronds like to bend though....

June 2020.JPG

June 2021.JPG

Edited by Palmlover_78
  • Like 5

I don't know where you read that Trachy's are slow growers, but given the right conditions, they are among the fastest of palms.  I bought several last year that were only around 2' tall, and this year, they are all over 5 feet, almost to eye level.  They like rich soil, lots of water, and like all palms, they like being in-ground so their roots have room to wander.  I have read that they handle drought OK, but they seem to do much much better with a good daily soaking.  It seems like it's hard to over-water a Trachycarpus.  

• Like 3

I'm guessing in the wrong environment like maybe the desert they could be slow palms. Here in 9a South Houston they are definitely fast growers maybe not in height or girth but they put out tons of fronds a year for me. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

I have to agree they are quick when they get the right conditions.  My fastest grew 30" of trunk in one year, the difference in overall height is much more.  18" of trunk is probably what I get for the average Trachy in my yard once established.

• Like 1

I live in zone 3a so unfortunately they have to be potted. It is in a 7 gallon pot, I was wondering it shouldn't grow much taller then what 7 feet?

Not sure where you heard that.  They are extremely fast growing in cool climates.  Put it in the ground in rich clay soil to see it really take off.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that's why I take with a grain of salt what I read online.  Personally, I find them moderate growing, they just tend to prefer a bit of shade, somewhat cooler conditions and a lot of water.

I actually keep mine in full shade or part sun (but definitely sheltered from the fiercest heat).

I've read that Butia/Pindo Palms were slow; they are by far my fastest, largest, most robust growers.

• Like 1