IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to protect a palm (maypan) over winter, 9b?

Gottagrowemall

I bought it from a landscaper in ormond beach who left them completely unprotected over this past winter. It only had 1-2 green fronds and the spear was green. I put it in the ground in probably February of 21, fertilized, lots of water, mulch, and it’s looking really happy (on the right you can see one of the left over cold damaged fronds).  It gets a good amount of coverage from some banana trees on one side and I’m thinking they’ll take the majority of the cold.

what can I do to protect it on cold nights? Should I wrap the trunk? What could I ideally cover it with? Should I try to tie up the fronds? I could also use bamboo poles and frost cloth to build a little tent over it for the winter. Do I water extra when it’s cold? Could I wrap it with frost cloth and Christmas lights?

thanks for any suggestions guys, I want this bad boy to survive! 

E78C602F-0137-46CA-9BE1-579CEC12FFBA.jpeg

3D50F735-BC0E-4EA5-90CF-FF4229837E75.jpeg

983A790D-4E28-466B-A060-0946B81CB38E.jpeg

Edited by Gottagrowemall
Adding ideas

Tie the fronds up around the spear, wrap a blanket around the trunk and the spear and ensure there is an air gap between the towel and the trunk in the spots where it the towel isn't tied.  That does the trick down to about 28F with wind or 26F without it.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

20 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Tie the fronds up around the spear, wrap a blanket around the trunk and the spear and ensure there is an air gap between the towel and the trunk in the spots where it the towel isn't tied.  That does the trick down to about 28F with wind or 26F without it.

Would I want to remove it all if it was like sunny, windy and 40-50 degrees during the day or keep it partially on throughout the day?

10 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Would I want to remove it all if it was like sunny, windy and 40-50 degrees during the day or keep it partially on throughout the day?

You can, but it's more of a judgement call.  @Walt uses a similar technique in Lake Placid.  If you're supposed to warm back up fast and not cool right back off again, you can usually just unwrap in the morning when the sun starts shinning.  If you're figuring it will get into the 20s the following night, you'll probably be best just leaving it covered.  You won't get much in the way of extra warmth unless you use the old C9 Christmas light trick, but the cover does stop the frost from settling on the leaflets.  That's where a lot of the damage at 35F+ comes from. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

You can, but it's more of a judgement call.  @Walt uses a similar technique in Lake Placid.  If you're supposed to warm back up fast and not cool right back off again, you can usually just unwrap in the morning when the sun starts shinning.  If you're figuring it will get into the 20s the following night, you'll probably be best just leaving it covered.  You won't get much in the way of extra warmth unless you use the old C9 Christmas light trick, but the cover does stop the frost from settling on the leaflets.  That's where a lot of the damage at 35F+ comes from. 

Thanks a lot! So that was kind of similar to my plan. For a blanket I should use a pretty thick comforter right? I have one I use for covering trees in the bed of my truck that’ll be perfect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Thanks a lot! So that was kind of similar to my plan. For a blanket I should use a pretty thick comforter right? I have one I use for covering trees in the bed of my truck that’ll be perfect.

For a really bad freeze, yeah, you'll want some thick material.  If it is more just to keep the frost away, you can get away with as little as a beach towel.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL