IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

White mold in pots

CiprianS

It has been a few months since I have planted some seedlings in small pots. My issue is that some of them have a white mold on them. I googled and I found that treating with diluted H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) will help and remediate this issue. I am doing that on a daily basis but once I don't use the sprayer for one day or so I get again the white mold in the pots. I have used the Miracle Gro Cactus and Palm soil for potting. Any suggestions of what I can do to get rid of this mold? Below in the photos it does not look that bad as it looked yesterday when I watered them. What I have in the photos below are some Sabal Mexicana, Palmetto and also Uresana.

I keep these pots at my windows and they have light there, it is not a shaded position.

a1RCHtr.jpg

Wiu6hWY.jpg

wIPkE6K.jpg

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

Im not expert but I think it's harmless mold, but it could be happening from overwatering or poor drainage. Miracle grow mix is dense and retains too much water so that could be what's happening, cause from the pictures the soil looks like it holds to much moisture and dense.

I'm not a fan of miracle gro cactus, palm and citrus soil without other additives added into it and I'm not unsure if repotting is an option cause I don't know anything about sabal seedlings and how sensitive they are so somebody else would have to look and see cause I think that soil could cause problems with the roots being constantly mucky :blush2:

Edited by ZPalms

They were watered yesterday and today it was sunny so I doubt they still look wet right now. I will stop watering them so much but once I do that the soil becomes like a crust and it really shows that it needs watering. :) 

I had white fungus in a few seedling pots, and sprayed it with a hydrogen peroxide + Daconil mix.  The mold died off and hasn't come back after ~2 months.  Seeds are still germinating in there, so it doesn't seem to have harmed germination!

The problem is that I have these pots inside and I don't want to inhale the air with this white fungus or whatever it is so I need to get rid of it. I will buy some Daconil and make a mix with the hydrogen peroxide. How should I mix it, in what proportions?

• 1 month later...

Try a better draining. Soil also the pot is way to large so if you water it will stay water logged longer. A lot of use solo cups with holes in the bottom for seedlings of that size. Good luck 

• 2 months later...

My small seedlings are doing fine for now, as long as they have light they are ok, I had to move some of them at some windows where they get more sunlight. One of the Sabal Palmetto ones actually was not moving at all, it had only one leaf. Until one day when I saw another one coming out which was probably sprouting from the seed directly.  A few weeks after... it sprouted another leaf from the base of the newly sprouted one. This one is a survivor for sure. :) 

YnLKmh6.jpg

GIn1ZhO.jpg

Edited by CiprianS