Sign in to follow this  
Fallen Munk

Jubutia (F3) X Syagrus rom. mules

Fallen Munk

Got these a few weeks ago from Dave Alvarez and figured I better start a growth thread so we can keep track of them.  I like how he shipped them.  Roots in peat moss rather than just bare.  I potted them straight to the tree pots and topped them with hydroton.  I started doing this with all of my seedlings to keep the squirrels from digging in the roots and I think it helps pull some moisture out of the soil to keep from drowning them.  It's a working theory anyway, haha.  They seem to like it.

Jubutiahybrids.jpg

• Like 6

GregVirginia7

Assuming zone 7 won’t work for these? Seems to be the drill on all pinnates...

• Like 1

Fallen Munk
1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Assuming zone 7 won’t work for these? Seems to be the drill on all pinnates...

I'm guessing not since they have Syagrus in them.  Less cold tolerant than just a Butia X Jubaea cross I would assume.  I'm in 8b and will be protecting them from frost and freezing.

Scott W

FYI, these are known as the super mule....cold hardiness is unknown but if these are from the source that I believe them to be then the hybridizer says they will have excellent cold hardiness.   Also, the parent F3 Jubutia would be offspring from Merrill Wilcox' trees if the source is correct.

• Like 2

Fallen Munk
7 minutes ago, Scott W said:

FYI, these are known as the super mule....cold hardiness is unknown but if these are from the source that I believe them to be then the hybridizer says they will have excellent cold hardiness.   Also, the parent F3 Jubutia would be offspring from Merrill Wilcox' trees if the source is correct.

I think they were sourced from a breeder in Florida.  Should be plenty cold hardy in 8b, I'm just protecting them while they are strap leaf.  For sure this winter, maybe next too but we'll see how fast they grow.

• Like 2

Scott W
5 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Got these a few weeks ago from Dave Alvarez and figured I better start a growth thread so we can keep track of them.  I like how he shipped them.  Roots in peat moss rather than just bare.  I potted them straight to the tree pots and topped them with hydroton.  I started doing this with all of my seedlings to keep the squirrels from digging in the roots and I think it helps pull some moisture out of the soil to keep from drowning them.  It's a working theory anyway, haha.  They seem to like it.

I actually do the same thing shipping palms and cycads....bare rooted, them packed in damp peat moss, wrapped in paper towels then plastic wrap and aluminum foil.

I've never noted squirrels interested in my palms here until I started growing some date palms from seed out of store bought dates.  For whatever reason they sure do love them.  I have been using a bit more perlite for drainage as well as Turface in my potting mix.   Have not noticed any issues with this and the potted palms do seem happier.  Have a few dozen Beccariophoenix alfredii that will be getting repotted soon with a similar mix, as I'm hoping this will help correct some of the lime green issues (but that's for another thread)

• Like 1